Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to removing the brake fluid reservoir or does it just pry off? My reservoir has black sludge in it and I want to clean it out before I bleed the brake when I replace the rear calipers.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
It lifts off, being held in place by two rubber grommets in the top of the cylinder. You can wiggle the reservoir back and forth and see that the rubber grommets are the only things holding it to the cylinder. If you look at the Fiat eper, in the 75 model (Milano) brake system layouts, diagrams 1/5 and 2/5, you can see a picture of the reservoir and grommets (two called for). I suspect care is called for when lifting it off to avoid breaking the bottom spouts.

It's also the clutch reservoir, so you will have to bleed the clutch as well to clear the old fluid in that line.

I think I replaced one in our Milano a few years ago, or was it a GTV6? Don't remember now which car it was.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I saw the grommets and wiggled and pulled hard, but didn't want to break anything.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
Maybe you have to pry under the grommets with a fork type tool so that they come off with the reservoir. Don't remember now. Maybe squirt a little lube onto the grommets so that things are slippery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts