Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 spider pulls to the right very hard when braking. It is not safe to drive. I had the ball joints and the shocks replaced by someone else. Before I took it home from the shop the spider began to pull hard to the right. I took it back to see if they can look at it. They said that they hadn't touched the brakes, I was wondering if there was something that they could've moved while working on the ball joints and shocks. The brakes were perfectly fine before taking it there. I'm not blaming them for messing up the brakes, I'm just keeping all possibilities open in that they might have moved something without knowing it. What do you guys think it could be? Could it be that the calipers need to be rebuilt or that the master brake cylinder could be leaking and air would be rushing where the liquid should be? What do you think? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If steering and suspension are ok then most likely the left front caliper is not working. You can lift the wheel(s) off the ground and try to turn while someone steps on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intuitive thinking! I should have thought of that before. Thanks for all the help I will check to make sure if it's the caliper or not

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Does it pull at all if driving on a flat road, and not pressing the brake pedal, and then pull harder when the pedal is pressed? This was the case with my car a couple years ago and was solved by new brake flex lines. They looked to be the 25+ year old originals and the one likely developed some internal swelling despite looking fine on the outside.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've had this on my manual car and the front callipers turned out to be corroded so I have had them refurbished. But as mcola say the problem could be flex pipes too. I will replace my hoses when I put the calipers back on, it's not a big additional expense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the metal line

It was not pulling at all when driving down the road. The car went completely straight and would only pull to the right when braking

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
more than likely they inadvertently bent/kinked/crushed a line.
Or they may have let the caliper hang by its flex hose hastening its demise. As stated, the hose can look fine externally but be swollen/split/faulty internally.

Try this. Jack up the front end, see if the wheels spin freely (it is normal for disc brakes to have a very slight drag). Then apply the brakes and make sure they both hold firm. Then release the brakes and they should both spin like they did earlier. If one does not release slightly loosen its bleeder screw. If a little brake fluid come out (have a rag handy) and the brake now releases, the hose is the likely fault. If one brake does not work at all then it could be either the hose or the caliper.

And, when all is said & done, I strongly suggest repairing both front brakes. We can assume they are both about the same age so if one needs repair the other is due.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If nothing visual shows up it may be it was just it's time or if they removed the caliper perhaps the piston is crooked/jammed from prying back the pads from the rotor

·
Richard Jemison
7,382 Posts
Brake issue

You do understand your braking issue is on the left side.
Check rubber hose first. Then push the pistond fully back into the calipers. If pads are thin and taper worn using new pads (left and right) should resolve your issue.

The tapper cut outs on the pistons have a specific position as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys all good information I will definitely check this weekend as I am busy throughout the week but all of this will help me out
Much appreciated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts