Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 67 Duetto and I replaced the brake cylinder in it, then as I road tested it, the pedal got progressively stiffer and finally the brakes would not release. I pulled off, waited about 20 minutes then it got to where I could at least drive it home. What's going on? Anyone? Thanks, Clark

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
In retrospect, the brakes starting to bind up to the point where you cannot move is more indicative of dragging/stuck caliper(s).

Did your bleed after replacement of the MS go well?

Did you check that the pistons in the calipers moved freely?

When you changed the MS, did you check the length and positioning of the rod that actuates the MS at the brake pedal to ensure it was set up properly so as not to create constant brake pressure?

(you'll forgive me if I reach around a bit)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
...check the length and positioning of the rod that actuates the MS at the brake pedal...
This gets my vote. There MUST be a bit of freeplay in the brake pedal (ie the pedal needs to move a few millimeters before the M/C piston moves).
What were the symptoms that prompted the M/C replacement in the first place?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the cylinder when I got home from Thanksgiving and found brake fluid all over my garage floor. It had been leaking a little time to time, but then totally took a dump! My '67 has no booster. There's a three way connection that splits front to back. Is there a proportioning valve inside that or is it just a straight through splitter? The calipers were all working fine prior to me replacing the cylinder. The pedal felt good immediately after the bleed process. Maybe the adjustment is all I need? Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts