Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have spent about 10 hours researching this topic, but want to put it out there for everyone's (who's willing) input. I have european 67 Duetto, with factory ATE small brakes. All the brake calipers are pretty much seized so I would like to upgrade to the big front calipers (have a line on some BMW735 ones). My plan is to build a strong 2L for the car and eventually swap out the rear diff for a LSD. This would be a later swap so I would need to address the rears this year.

So my question is what do I need to do this front brake swap on a 67 1600. I have read I need the bigger spindles, rotors, and adjustable upper A arms? Is that all? Is it a doable project and is it worth it? (loaded question I know). Also does anyone have what I am looking for for sale? I have already purchased the springs and shocks and would do all the bushings at the same time once I am in there. Is the rear calipers just a rebuild kit on each side? Thanks guys

Thoughts, directions, and prayer very apprecited!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps I should just buy a old 70s 2L car Would that give me all the options I need?

·
Premium Member
22,171 Posts
Yes, you'll need the 1750/2000 uprights, hubs, calipers, rotors, splash shields, and upper arms or adjustable ones. Also the brackets and hard pipes. Lower arms are the same. Basically just pull everything off but the lower A-arms and bolt on the new.
Why not just get a set of rebuilt 1600 calipers? If you're disks are good it's a lot less work, and they aren't really underbraked unless you have a lot of power or do a lot of track time.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Provided that the pistons in your calipers aren't toast, a brake rebuilder can redo them for little dough......
My GTV sat for 10 years and I just took all of the calipers to a local shop along with the master.
$50 each and they came back as new.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Milano (Alfa "75") V6 aluminum Brembos, once modified by removing the spacer and rebuilt, will fit in the place on 1600's uprights with minor mods with 2L rotors and new hoses. I have a write-up with details. I'm doing it on my Super now. E-mail me for the procedure.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
If you go for the 2L front spindles, you'll need new lug nuts (Duetto are RH and LH, 2L are all RH), and adjustable upper arms (the 2L spindles are taller, and change alignment geometry).

I did this many years ago. Not too bad. Replace the lower balljoints too, they wear pretty hard (you get new upper with the adj arms) Use a bushing from the lower A-arm in the upper arm too. I also did the steering tie rod ends. Get new grease seals for the hubs; the bearings should be OK unless they got dried or corroded.

But think about just using the Milano Bremos. They have a spacer (for the vented rotors) that you have to take out, but bolt right on the 1600 spindles, and cut several unsprung pounds (they're aluminum). You need to use the 2L rotors 'cause the Milanos are larger than the 1600.

Rear 2L brakes are the same as the 1600, and really do not need changing, even for racing.

When you get an LSD axle, often they're complete with brakes. You can benefit a bit from using a rear brake pressure limiter. Used Alfa ones are OK, but sometimes are so cruddy that they need complete rebuild. I just got a Tilton adjustable one.

Be sure to get the 2L drive shaft and special 9 mm shoulder bolts at the diff u-joint flange with the LSD. The only hard bit is unscrewing the rusted screws that hold the axle straps and rubber bump stop. I had to drill them out and replace.

Robert

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys the Milano options looks like it may be my best option from what you two have stated. I need new rotors all around so no big deal. Do I use 2L rotors on the rear as well (keeping my original calipers) As I need to rebuild those can I just purchase rear Milanos as well as it may be cheaper? I like this option as I can get some vented rotors with the 2L rotor option.

So I am I looking for any particular model or year? I've started to go thru the board right now looking for the brakes. Thanks a bunch

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Brembo Caliper Option

Here is the process I received from Ben at Italclassic in Spain. It is widely used in Europe. Some leave the spacer in and use thicker vented front rotors. I got my hoses form him (SS braided with clear sheaths). After a moderate amount of sourcing, I could not find (even with an assist from dharold) the proper square cut EDPM o-rings, so I reused the old ones as they looked fine. I am not a brake expert but am not aware of any 2L calipers that will fit the "thinned out" Brembos

The rear calipers are the same on 1300 - 2L. Just rebuild them or buy new or reconditioned ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks for the write up Alfanuts, that looks doable and perhaps as more econominal option. Nice to know there is an option. It will now depend on whether I can find a set of uprights from a 2L as I have to replace the rotors either way, have these set of rebuilt 735BMW 4 piston calipers available, and want to replace the studs either way. Decision will come down to the cost of the uprights and the adjustable arms compared to the Milano route.

Robert, thanks for the clarificaiton, was feeling really dumb there for a minute! Off to post a want add for some upright/spindles to see if they are available or not. Thanks a bunch you guys.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
??? The Brembos are calipers?? Use the 2 L discs and Milano pads.

R
Thanks for catching that. This should read: "I am not a brake expert but am not aware of any 2L rotors that will fit the "thinned out" Brembos."

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
1600 and 2L rear rotors, pads, and brakes are the same. Milano do not fit.

Robert
This applies to the rears. Just rebuild your 1300/1600/1750/2000 rear calipers or replace.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the write up Alfanuts, that looks doable and perhaps as more econominal option. Nice to know there is an option. It will now depend on whether I can find a set of uprights from a 2L as I have to replace the rotors either way, have these set of rebuilt 735BMW 4 piston calipers available, and want to replace the studs either way. Decision will come down to the cost of the uprights and the adjustable arms compared to the Milano route.

Robert, thanks for the clarificaiton, was feeling really dumb there for a minute! Off to post a want add for some upright/spindles to see if they are available or not. Thanks a bunch you guys.
You can bolt the Milano Brembo calipers directly to the 1300/1600 risers. I recall it is a 3" CtC hole versus 3 1/2" for the 1750/2000 fronts. No need for new front risers/spindles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts