Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for supplier of Brembo hardware for GTV6/Milano front calipers. I've been experiencing clatter (metallic sound) when hitting bumps in the road. ' Makes me feel like a Beverly Hillbilly in the chuckwagon with the pots-n-pans hanging on the sides clangin' about!

I've got a couple of viadocks near the house whose condition is circa 1890. When I drive under (fast as I can so I fly over most bumps) I hear more clatter than Alfa v6 song - totally unacceptable. To try and figure-out where the problem was, bushings or whatever, I dragged the brakes while still on throttle and going over di bumps. Noise gone. So I figured the problem is with brake pads.

Last weekend, i pulled the wheels and outer bearings. Re-packed and re-set the bearing lash by di book. Pulled and re-greased (using hi-temp brake grease) the back of the pads, calipers, pins, and springs where they contact. Slightly better but I think these old two-piece springs are just plain tired.
Front Caliper 2007.JPG
Heres a pic I found from 2007 that shows the type of hardware. I would like to get the one piece anti-clatter spring type. Anyone know who carries them. Centerline used to, but no longer. IAP either.
bc715.jpg

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd be surprised if the pads would 'rattle' very much (if at all) given they have light hydralic pressure on the disc at all times.

Having the brakes lightly applied may take some of the movement out of the suspension bushes and ball joints, thereby also lessening the noise created on bumps. Lower inner control arm bushes are famous for causing a harsh bump impact and noise.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
All kind of pricey for what you get. You may want to think about just re-curving them a little bit by hand.

Do you think it would be the same as used on the F40/F50 cars?

Further searching shows Centric Part # 117.0009, of course a generic photo, shows up as fitting:

Alfa Romeo:
Milano 87 – 89

BMW:
320i 1977

Mecedes Benz:
280S
280SE 1971 -1972
280SE 4.5, 1972
280SEL 1971 -1972
300SEL 1970 – 1972
Volvo
164 and 164E 1972 – 75
242 GL 1975
244 GL 1975
245 1975

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Anti-rattle hardware

Given that I've taken 115 GTV brake pads and modified the inside to fit the Brembo calipers I would think that the anti-rattle hardware would fit. I know that the pin to pin centerline is the same.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
That small brake pad clip/assembly is not going to cause a rattle like you describe. No way.

What is likely happening is that your ball joints are weak or perhaps other bushings in the control arm and by applying the brakes you are placing a torque on those other components and preventing/minimizing the other uncontrolled movement forces agitated by imperfect road surfaces.

Get a prybar out and check the play on upper and lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings. Your upper ball joint in photo looks like it has rivets which may mean it's an original. Newer replacement ball joints use a nut and bolt. If the upper ball joints are original you can bet that the lower control arm bushes are too. Someone has neglected the maintenance on those items.

Your front suspension is probably close to trashed if it's making as much noise as you suggest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try (IBI) International Brake Industries
Lima, Ohio
I have their old catalogue from 1990. They list and illustrate scores of anti rattle springs. pins, retainers and all the necessary findings that are sold to mainly to brake wharehouse distributors in bulk, who then sell to retailers. When speaking to them be very nice. You are not an account but with a little polite prodding they will tell you who their distributors are..Good Luck

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm impressed with the research 86,

What is likely happening is that your ball joints are weak or perhaps other bushings in the control arm and by applying the brakes you are placing a torque on those other components and preventing/minimizing the other uncontrolled movement forces agitated by imperfect road surfaces.
I'll buy that for a dollar.

Someone has neglected the maintenance on those items.
uh, that would be me :eek:

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I dragged the brakes while still on throttle and going over di bumps. Noise gone. So I figured the problem is with brake pads.
This is a standard diagnostic technique that's been around since disc brakes were first used on automobiles. Only a very light application of the brake pedal is needed; just enough to load the pads. If the rattle disappears, the pads are rattling. Possible causes are weak anti-rattle springs, too much vertical play in the pads, caliper seals pulling the pad too far back on brake release (does the pedal height improve on 2nd application?) and loose front wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks papa,

I don't notice any difference in the pedal & braking is quite good w/no pulling.

I did mention in my orig post that I repacked and re-torqued the castle-nut on the bearings. They were a little loose - I could get a little click when wheel off, I tugged on the rotor. That's gone now.

What I didn't say was that I took her to my mechanic to give her a test drive and eval (after all, I'm a hobby mechanic). He put her up on the lift and used some sort of suspension jack tool on the lower "A" arm to load it. He asked me if I lubed the back of the front pads in a circle where they contact the pistons, and when I gave him the 1000 meter stare, reminded me that I was a rookie. He also mentioned that the caster-rod bushes needed replacing (I already knew that). What he didn't tell me was that my ball joints were bad (or what I was expecting) or that I needed new lower "A" arm bushings or upper "A" arm bushings. I'm sure he would have if they were (he did mention the wheel bearings as probable culprits, and added that the races tend to get out of round).

My experience when the ball joints are bad, you'll hear creaking when you turn the steering wheel while stopped or moving really slow into a turn. I don't get any of that.

I suppose I can pull the springs and bend them some. After 27 years though, metal fatigue kinda' kills the "spring" in the spring.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts