Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I made a very bad mistake. I pulled and cleaned the calipers (did not split them) but when I removed the dust boots from the pistons I did not keep the metal bands that held them in place. I assumed that the rebuild kit would contain these. They were rusted. The rebuild kit is all rubber- no new retainers. I assuem I will need to replace these or are these spring clips rings not needed on the replacements? Followup question. If I need them were cani get them?

·
Registered
532 Posts
All I can add is some advice about rebuild kits, in general. Try to find the genuine ATE kits, or at worst the Repco (from Australia) aren't too bad, and in my experience both include the metal rings. In the past few years I've bought kits, sourced from eastern Europe (Turkey, Poland) that were junk and I didn't waste my time even trying to install them. You might try Performatek for ATE original parts, as well Centerline or Vick, but not the vendor I didn't mention (and 'm guessing that's where you bought the ones you've already got).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, I generally don't like the Italian stuff, either. I bought a Metelli clutch master a year or so back (from Vick), and it's pretty low-end. It soon began to leak, and the threaded (aluminum) adjuster on the pushrod stripped. I ended up replacing it with an ATE, also did the brake MC at the same time, and again bought the parts from Vick. They had ATE as well as the cheaper brands, so perhaps they have the ATE kits, too? It's funny that you'll see original ATE parts last for 15 years or more, and the cheaper stuff almost becomes regular maintenance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess Andy is the guy at Performatek? I will contact them tomorrow. Here is the weird thing. I have been thinking about this and the new boots are a different design all together. The metal ring was internal to the boot on the ones that I removed. I am sure of this. The ones I have from Centerline have no groove or gap in which the metal could be inserted even if I had it. It appears that these Akron boots would have to be held on with an adhesive. That's just not right. I would be curious if anyone else has seen this problem. Perhaps I should post this question with a different title so as to attract a reader who would not see this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about. All the ones I've seen have the metal ring installed outside the rubber dust boot. In other words, the ring is the last part you install, and it's visible when the caliper is fully assembled. There's no groove in the boot for the ring, it just slips over the boot and is held in place by its own tension.

I guess Andy is the guy at Performatek? I will contact them tomorrow. Here is the weird thing. I have been thinking about this and the new boots are a different design all together. The metal ring was internal to the boot on the ones that I removed. I am sure of this. The ones I have from Centerline have no groove or gap in which the metal could be inserted even if I had it. It appears that these Akron boots would have to be held on with an adhesive. That's just not right. I would be curious if anyone else has seen this problem. Perhaps I should post this question with a different title so as to attract a reader who would not see this?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes. Aren't those false memories the ones we are all the most adiment about? While cleaning my work bench i came acros a few of the seals with ethe rings still in place. You are correct. They are on the outside. That still doesn't help matters any as I only have enough for 11/2 front caliper and none for the rear. Alas I just bought 4 new rebuild kits from Permatek in order to get the snap rings. Andy was great and entirely understanding but needless to say I and a full bill poorer. Oh well I will have a full set of seals for the next time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts