Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have planned to powder coat and the rebuild my brake calipers. Nice simple project right? Well as I was extracting the FIRST brake piston I had a C-clamp on one side and using an air house to push the other piston out, with no luck, all of sudden POW the piston shot out like a high power air rifle right in my finger. Long story short since my finger has swelled up the size of the caliper itself and I am kinda burned out on this project does anyone know somebody that provides a service of Brake Caliper rebuild and powder coating (or painting if only possiblity)

Thanks

·
Out of the office!
11,672 Posts
I have planned to powder coat and the rebuild my brake calipers. Nice simple project right? Well as I was extracting the FIRST brake piston I had a C-clamp on one side and using an air house to push the other piston out, with no luck, all of sudden POW the piston shot out like a high power air rifle right in my finger. Long story short since my finger has swelled up the size of the caliper itself and I am kinda burned out on this project does anyone know somebody that provides a service of Brake Caliper rebuild and powder coating (or painting if only possiblity)

Thanks
It's just a flesh wound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just a flesh wound.
Be warned I will bleed on you. :)

If you could just be so kind and give me the address I will fasten a caliper to a swallow ( the the African variety) and send them on their way. I figure if a 5 0z bird can carry a coconut surely it could carry a ATE cast iron caliper.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Air is very violent. A grease fitting will gently screw into the fluid fitting hole, just do it gently and don't tighten it too much, then pump it up with grease. The piston will come out gentle, saving fingers and other important parts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Air is very violent. A grease fitting will gently screw into the fluid fitting hole, just do it gently and don't tighten it too much, then pump it up with grease. The piston will come out gentle, saving fingers and other important parts.
Thanks for the tip, as soon as I gain feeling in my finger I will try the grease gun method. And I agree with you that air is a Violent means of pushing the piston out, what was I thinking? I mean when the piston broke free it sounded like a gun shot, at first I thought the compressor and/or the hose detonated. I hope some other dummy stumbles on this thread and learns from my mistake.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use an old giulietta pedal box and an old used 22mm 1600GTV master cylinder to get them apart. You could do the same thing one your car. I have a brake flex hose with an adaptor to screw into the caliper and then I just pump them apart. I hold the easy piston with a large C clamp and pump out the difficult piston. Then I remove the seal, clean the bore with fine sandpaper, scotchbright the piston, clean the bore, lube the piston and put it back in (it should slide in very easily). Then I pump out the easy piston and can then pull out the cleaned one very easily(the cleaner piston will leak fluid, but I can pump faster than it looses ...). I do it over a baking tray and it makes a mess, but it is VERY easy and safe. I have tried grease, but I hate trying to clean it all up. And you have to be careful with air and the huge cloud of brake fluid it creates when the piston pops out. Yes I drained the caliper first and it was not full of fluid, but what is left can make a heck of a cloud... It only takes a few minutes to do all 4 and I have never had this fail to get out a piston.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have built 1000s of racing brake calipers and also learned the hard way that you dont want your fingers in the way when using air to extract the pistons. Air is still the preferred way , but use a block of wood in the gap and keep your fingers out of the way as that thing can take a finger off. I now powder coat full time and have done many calipers, correctly done by completely disassembling the caliper to blast and clean to bare fresh metal.
Marc the Powder Guy
Creative Candy Powder Coating
www.creativecandy.org

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
PMB Performance,
How much $$$ to get my rear calipers looking like the above photo and working like new?
Thanks
Sprintn

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ooo!!! So tempting. That seems to be the going rate though. Centerline wants $220 a pair for rebuilt rear calipers plus a $95 core charge.
Very nice work!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
So... when plating ther is no need for masking any of the surfaces?!?! Even the bore that the piston goes into and travels in?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey Eric I stumbled on this thread today and have a question. Can you please list the process you are going through to restore brake calipers? And what exactly is the metal finishing that you are doing? I'm about to tear mine down and would like to understand what you are doing before sending them off to you. Also what is your typical lead time? Thank you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks,

Process is simple. It's what ATE did. Yellow zinc (not cad as a lot of people once thought).

We simply tear them down to the core, replate them and reassemble them using new seals. We also use a vibratory polisher on the pistons and repaint the tops using a high-temp paint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts