Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power brake booster failed on my 1995 164LS 5 speed. I located a used replacement part but I am having trouble getting the old one out of the car. Everything is disconnected inside (clevis pin on pedal and four nuts on firewall). I have removed the coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder and reservoir, plastic fender liners in the wheelwells, disconnected the clutch hardline that lays up against the booster, etc. The booster is free but I cannot make out exactly how to physically remove it from the engine bay.

Does it come out from the top or from the wheelwell? Do I need to remove the MAF and intake duct?

TIA

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Never done it but I suspect yes the AFM and maybe even the airbox frame need to come out. One thing I do know is that the clearance between master and booster is tightly controlled-- so try to do some metrology on that before you install it. There should be a gap as I recall 0.030 or so between the master shaft and the booster shaft -- too little and the booster gets engaged early, too much and there is too much brake play.

This was told to me by the ex Head of AR technical service in USA, or at least that's what I think he was. He was high on the food chain for sure --

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it out…Finally

Thanks for the input, Goats. We kept on removing parts and disconnecting things until there was just enough room (barely, and I mean barely:eek:) to twist the booster out from the top. The attached photos show the extent of the parts removal and moving of hoses and lines required. Now I understand why many shops hate working on these things...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, the brake booster, starter motor and steering rack were definantly not designed for easy removal with engine in situ.....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Some have suggested that Alfa designed the car around the brake booster. I put off having mine replaced for years because of the complexity and cost. But once done, I have enjoyed the quite braking. No more squealing when coming to a stop.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to replace mine since I had effectively "no" braking. I could stand on the pedal and eventually stop the car from very low speeds, but it felt like I was pushing the pedal through the floorboard with minimal retardation. You could hear the vacuum escaping from the booster inside the car from the broken diaphragm.

Now, we will see if "installation is the opposite of removal" as many manuals say...:whistling:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts