Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using speed bleeders on my Alfa, with fresh thread sealant applied. The system drained while I was applying the new thread sealant. I started bleeding the system with all of the bleeders open. The front brakes bleed quickly. When I closed the front brake bleeders, the pedal stopped traveling all the way to the floor. I've pumped several large bottles of brake fluid through the rear brakes, and I still get a lot of bubbles. Before I bled the system, the brakes were a little week after the car wasn't driven for two or three months due to a break down.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I would suspect the master cylinder. I don't have experience with speed bleeders.
I use a converted bug sprayer to pressure bleed the system.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did the master cylinder empty? If so you will have to bench bleed it before bleeding the rest of the system.

I have never used speed bleeders; I use a vacuum bleeder. Either case the procedure is the same, start with the furthest caliper from the master cylinder. This is typically the right (passenger) rear and work your way to the closest.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried bench bleeding, which is something I"ve never done before. I pushed a whole quare of brake fluid through the cylinder, and the bubbles keep coming. I think that means it's time for a rebuild. I'm hoping to find rebuild kit locally. Does anybody have a part number?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts