Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past with bleeding brakes I have started at the furthest point from the master cylinder and worked to the closest. Is that the correct strategy for the spider?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. I just bought my 73 Spider this past summer and that's how I did the brake flush and bleeding. It worked well. Also the same approach I've taken on other cars I've owned. I also used a Motive brake bleeding system for the first time with the Spider and I was really impressed with that system.

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Followup question: What is the purpose of the two wires on top of brake master cylinder resevoir and how are they removed?

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
what year?
(always best to put the year and model in your signature, saves guessing!)

wires are for the brake fluid level warning light (on your dash)
you just pull them....they are round connectors.
late
Brake Wire.jpg

early
reservoir early.jpg

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Jeremy
Farthest to closest for bleeding like you are doing. Just keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir level. If it goes dry, you may be starting over. Of course I have never made that mistake. :LOL:
It sounds like you got the reservoir off of the old master already?

Reactions: mhendri

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeremy
Farthest to closest for bleeding like you are doing. Just keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir level. If it goes dry, you may be starting over. Of course I have never made that mistake. :LOL:
It sounds like you got the reservoir off of the old master already?
Yep, got everything off. It was far easier than I imagined. I pictured brittle old plastic crumbling away. Now just waiting for the new part.

·
Registered
447 Posts
"Speedbleeders from Centerline"

Are these any good ? Can anyone recommend.........

·
Premium Member
967 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
No one "needs" them but if you do your work solo - its the only way other then messy vacuum or pressure methods.
It makes the job fast and very easy for one person.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
No one "needs" them but if you do your work solo - its the only way other then messy vacuum or pressure methods.
It makes the job fast and very easy for one person.
If you say so. Always work alone and never had a problem bleeding brakes or clutches in over 40 years.

Reactions: radamm

·
Registered
447 Posts
"Fast and easy for one person"...... thank you that's the confirmation I needed to hear.

BTW.... they are only $7.00 each direct from the MFR at their website..... as I have just ordered as set.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,263 Posts
"Speedbleeders from Centerline"

Are these any good ? Can anyone recommend.........
They're okay but not my favorite. On the Alfas I've used speed bleeders, a vacuum bleeder, and now a pressure bleeder. I'd say I like the pressure bleeder the best, the vacuum bleeder second, and speed bleeders least.

The pressure bleeder is the bees knees. It's very effective at getting air out of the system and makes it a one-man job. The standard model is only $53, but I recommend the upgrade to the one with the metal fitting and swivel for $73

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
I like being married so I have a brother-in-law to help me bleed brakes!

But seriously, Motive Products' Power Bleeder works like a charm.
Actually, if I need help on anything car related, my wife is willing to help. Guess I made a good choice with this one!:)

Reactions: alfaromeoblack
1 - 20 of 25 Posts