Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my hazard lights do not work, in addition the brake light that goes on when the emergency brake is on or the brake fluid is low also does not function. Are all these things related. HELP!

·
Registered
954 Posts
May one assume from your user name that you own a 74? The later models have very different (i.e. more complicated ) wiring. Here is a link to a thread that has a pdf of the 72-73 Spider wiring diagram which is, I believe, essentially the same as regards lighting: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/electrical-diagrams/5401-11502-2000-spider-1972-1973-electrical-diagram.html

There is a vast amount of information on this site which can be found with a few minutes of searching.

Regarding the hazard (aka four ways) do your turn signals work OK? Usually the problem is a bad flasher unit.

The brake fluid level and e-brake warning light works when either of the respective switches on the brake reservoir and the e-brake handle provide a path to ground. First check that these switches still function with a test light. An not uncommon occurrence is that the little bulb on the warning light is burned out or that the light socket has worked its way out of the warning light and is just dangling around under the center console. BTW these lights are not related to the hazard switch in any way, provided of course that the dreaded DPO hasn't been swapping wires under the center console (anything IS possible).Correction: Not related electrically, but the pink wires to the lights are on the same fuse, #6. The hazards should function even if the fuse is blown as they take power on the supply side of the fuse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
74 alfa spider electrical

Okay, thanks for the tips. I fixed the brake light on console (was the dangling bulb) also fixed the turning signal by supergluing pieces of faucet washers to the blinker wheel and then gluing the wand in between. My problem is still the hazard lights and also...when I use the turn signals only the rear blinkers work.
Nonoe of this would be a problem except I am forced to do a brake and light inspection and they require everything to work as new to register car.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If both left and right rear indicators are working then that is a good sign - the switch it OK and the flasher is too. The front turn signals may be simply bad grounds, corroded sockets, bad bulbs, ie the usual stuff on old cars. I bet once those are fixed the hazards may then work too. Sometimes the hazards won't function if more than one bulb is out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts