Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'84 GTV6 Black
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders and my Clutch slave on my '84 GTV6. I was searching on information on recommended brake fluid type and the amount needed. Although there are several post on this, most are over 10 years old. I assume after 10-15 years, science and technology has changed. Since none of the rubber bits and seals are now original, what type of fluid should I fill her up with? How much you you expect is needed? On my way home today, I picked up 2 liters or Pentosin Super DOT4. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,629 Posts
Any DOT 4 fluid will work well. Pentosin is fine.

·
Administrator
17,776 Posts
I don't know the total volume. A quart is usually plenty unless you have trouble bleeding and end up wasting a lot.

DOT 4 is what I use. It is 100% compatible with DOT 3 but not DOT 5. DOT 5 is silicone based, DOT 3 & DOT 4 are glycol based. (as is the uncommon DOT 5.1 - just to confuse the issue...) Note that jars of DOT 4 (and maybe DOT 3) will be labeled 'synthetic' but that is just marketing - all brake fluids are synthetic in that they are not naturally found in nature. Just don't confuse synthetic with silicone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I default to Motul 5.1; which can be readily found on Amazon. Motul is a known and reliable brand, and the price is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts