Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting the work of replacing my sills/rockers on my '65 Giulia Sprint GT. I believe I've read that I can remove the outer and middle sills without worrying about the chassis flexing, requiring temporary bracing. Am I correct in believing this? Based on the inspection I've done thus far, I think replacing these two will be sufficient as the inner looks solid. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Removing the outer rockers is fine - they are cosmetic. The middle rockers form a tube with the inner rockers which provides the stiffness to the system. You might not need to brace the shell but it is a simple process and a bad thing to find out after the fact that you shouldda...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich. If there's any question, and it's just a matter of a cross brace across the door opening, then I'll take that precaution.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is probably going to one of my next tasks. I will likely have to replace all three on both sides ( as well as floor pans). My thoughts were:
- check door gaps are correct
- brace using RHS across door opening
- brace across door openings (weld more RHS across both openings).
- replace (in order) inner, middle, floors, outer. Removing old one side at a time.
- repeat for other side

Does that sound reasonable?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Al

Sounds reasonable!

Most likely the upper side of the inner sill will be ok. You can consider only replacing the lower side of the inner sill (next to the outer and middle sills). In this way you will maintain rigidity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts