Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 Alfa Spider with the IAP Springs, Frame Stiffener, Koni Red Shocks and 15" Panasport rims. I get this weird bouncing sensation when one front wheel hit a bump. Its not cowl shake, but I lose traction on that corner which is scary at times.

Is this a symptom of too much tire pressure or not a strong enough setting on the shocks? Or is it something else completely?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
936 Posts
are you running stiff and sticky tires ? if so, try backing off the air pressure even more, say to 26-28psi. the 205/55-15 on my GTV like 25-26psi for street use. these tires are designed for much heavier modern cars, so don't need as much air on our cars.

as Bianchi1 suggested, set the shocks soft : full soft in the rear, and full soft to only 1/4 stiff in the front.

·
Administrator
16,620 Posts
I agree with the 'set the Knoi's to softer settings'. Our '84 Spider came with red Koni's. The PO had set them to full or nearly so firm. The car felt like a coal cart (and I'm used to driving MG's...). I browsed Koni's web page and found their instructions for adjusting the shocks. I re-adjusted them to one click off soft. Amazing difference! Then the Spider handled like I knew an Alfa should!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts