Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rebuilding the Bosch Wiper Mechanism

The wiper mechanism on my GTV is in need of a complete rebuild. Re-plating the metal pieces should be relatively straight forward...the seals however will not as these are NLA. I'm looking for the 3 top seals (dust caps)...as shown in the pic below (borrowed from another thread)....

Dscn1437_small.jpg

...and the other seals that install at the 4 various arm pivot points....

IMG_7192.jpg

Has anyone been able to find a source for these perhaps from other vehicle makes?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Hello again,

I had the same problem 2 years ago and gave up trying to find replacements - I sourced a second hand wiper rotar arm and made do with that.

If you did source the bushes (or whatever they're called) for the 4 arm pivot points how would you sperate the ball joints of the arm to put them on and how would you force the joint back together - would it be a matter of somehow popping the ball joint in and out of itself?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I looked hard at this as well. Gave up, painted the arms, and lubed the joints. Not sure how to go about rebuilding this thing.

Funny how we have some great reproduction rubber bits but then some others are so obviously missing.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
If you did source the bushes (or whatever they're called) for the 4 arm pivot points how would you sperate the ball joints of the arm to put them on and how would you force the joint back together....?
Right. I don't think the joints can be disassembled / reassembled. Dunno how the factory put them together, but I couldn't see a way to take them apart.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
I looked at this too, and finally just gave up! Fortunately, living in So. Calif. I'm thinking my car will never see a raindrop... ;)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....If you did source the bushes (or whatever they're called) for the 4 arm pivot points how would you seperate the ball joints of the arm to put them on and how would you force the joint back together .....
It may come down to a trial and error situation. I happen to have a spare worn out assembly that I'm willing to experiment with. The bores in the spherical bearings are sloppy and ovalised anyways so it won't be much of a loss.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I noticed Alfa-service in Germany also has these assemblies for sale online for GTVs. Not sure if in stock.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed Alfa-service in Germany also has these assemblies for sale online for GTVs. Not sure if in stock.
Yup I noticed that too a while ago...but to get it on my car it'll probably cost around $300 when shipping +taxes are added on. Also, the diagram of the linkage on their site doesn't seem correct.....if I was to buy that from them I'd ask for a photo first. Should my attempt to refurbish mine fail, I'll probably have to look at that unit.

So getting back to the rebuild....tonight I was able to pull the centre crank assembly apart (rather easily). I used the three arm gear puller shown...

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

Initially I tried to push the pin out with a drift but it wouldn't budge. I know know why....the darn pivot pin has a shoulder on it.

IMG_7231.jpg

The real challenge on this project will be where to find suitable dust seals and caps. I may investigate the cost of having these machined from solid rubber.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the bearings on the wiper assembly are very tight and don't swivel smoothly at all. A few have bores that are very worn out with excessive, sloppy clearances to the pivot pins. Dis-assembly was oh so simple, carefully grind off the tail of the rivet and drive them out with a punch.

IMG_7281.jpg

Retainer is then easily pulled off and the spherical ball removed. I didn't realise till now that the balls are made from plastic and not metal. Ball measurements are......16.97mm sph dia, 10mm width and 10 mm bore. The ball also has a flat at the mid-line to a diameter of 16.7mm.

It sure would be nice to source new replacements for these so that anyone contemplating a similar rebuild won't have to buy spare wiper assemblies just for parts. In my case I happened to have a purchased a spare assembly years ago and out of eight bearings....only 4 good bearings are to be had. As well, I only have 2 decent seals and 1 good dust cap.

IMG_7282.jpg

So with the arms all apart, I plan on having these re-plated to the OE black oxide finish.

IMG_7286.jpg

...Maybe I should have titled this thread...."Rebuilding the Bosch Wiper Mechanism".

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Rossano,

I had similar problems when faced with rebuilding my wiper system a few years ago. Mine is an earlier style than yours, but I still had to conserve what was there, rather than replace with new parts, as these were not available. I did think about completely redesigning the arms and using miniature rod ends, but eventually I lost enthusiasm for the idea, not least because I had concerns about dust protection and lubrication, etc.

These days, it might be worth looking at spherical ceramic balls to replace those plastic items. One such producer of these is IGUS. It might be worthwhile emailing them to see if they have anything which could be used, although I couldn't see anything with a spherical diameter of 17mm. They also make ceramic rod ends, spherical axial bearings, flange bearings etc so if I ever want to rebuild another wiper system, I could be spoiled for choice.

Just food for thought :)

Alex.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Alex, I came across IGUS on my searches as well but I wasn't able to see a suitable bearing in their catalog. I need to produce a drawing of this bearing first, then I'll send it to them and ask for a quote. When talking and getting quotes from suppliers, the biggest hurdle is the quantity.....that is the more the cheaper usually.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
Fortunatly mine were still useable and I left well enough alone besides a shot or two of lithium grease.
Max has the grey caps that go over the hold down nuts on the wiper blade.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
Rossano,

Great thread. Keep it coming. And let us know pricing on having some bearings made. I'm sure a few of us would be interested in buying some.

Antoni

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rossano,
Great thread. Keep it coming. And let us know pricing on having some bearings made. I'm sure a few of us would be interested in buying some.
Antoni
Antoni, pricing will be high unless I can get decent quantities (probably in the 100 piece range). I base this on some recent pricing for 3 small plastic parts for the window winder mechanism that I'm rebuilding and these are coming in at around $15 a piece for 10-20 pieces.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
If you come up with a foolproof bearing kit, I'd say that you'd get a lot of orders, possibly from the trade too. These bushes are a weak spot of any car, no matter how well rebuilt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Spider mechanisms are totally different. We've got the new Spider ones in stock and been thinking about what to do with GT ones, but no solutions as yet. We've got quite a few secondhand GT ones in stock at Classic Alfa if someone is desperate at this stage. Plenty of the wiper arm caps too.:D.

Note that the earlier cars (Sprint GT/GTV basically up to '68) use a different external arm with a domed hold down nut and a 'hook' end for the wiper blade. All that stuff is available new again. Later cars generally had a 'bayonet' style arm with an anodised (non reflective) style finish and use a flat nut to hold the arm on and then the grey plastic cap on top. Those later style arms are not currently available new that I have found so far...

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
Andrew thanks for the clarification. Those details are the ones that are hard to keep track of!
Alex, I agree with you. I think there would be a market for a rebuild solution. It would be both cheaper and more certain than buying another used item that may or may not be in working condition.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on this project.

Plastic balls....I sent a drawing to a plastics manufacturer ....but they won't quote on small quantities. I also can't find a replacement to the exact size as the OE.....so I guess it's no go with this approach.

Seals....here too I sent a drawing to the seal manufacturer who make the DPWA seals for me (machined from solid) but they can't be cut cause they're too thin. They told me they would quote out to have these molded...but afterwards decided not to quote....for whatever reason. So this is a no go as well.

My next approach (on the seals at least) was to come up with an alternate design altogether...then someone on this BB (whose post I cannot find now) recently sent a link to to Bertlesbeck....

Bertelsbeck Automotive - WIPER LINKAGE - GT WIPER LINKAGE - GT 884 037 0

..they offer a completely remanufactured assembly. Not cheap...agreed... but if I were to add up my time (and frustration) spent so far on this project....I'd say it's worth the price.

Also, if you look closely at their assembly, the bearings they use seem to be completely self contained units (maybe sealed as well) riveted to the arms. I guess one more attempt to source this type of bearing is in order.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts