Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There might be a thread already so I apologize ahead of time. Who’s done it? I have a chance to pick up a late 80s Spider that’s been in a storage unit for 26 years. Was thinking of simply pulling off all the injection and hanging on some webers and a conventional distributor and coil? I know I will need the appropriate Bosch carb manifold. Thoughts and experiences appreciated in advance, Fred
5EF434A1-44CF-4744-8886-E3162ACCD388.jpeg

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you but I have tons of Webers etc. Am more concerned with the ins and outs of the conversion, maintaining the operation of all the gauges for instance.

·
Registered
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
55 Posts
As far as I know the injection/ignition components and the gauges are completely independent. All the gauges use their own sensors/senders/wiring.

You may have to rearrange the wiring around the main and fuel pump relays. I Imagine you will need to swap out the fuel delivery system with a low pressure arrangement anyways.

You will also need a standalone ignition distributor. The one on your car is just a glorified spinning switch. Ignition timing and advance are controlled by the ignition controller behind the passenger rear side panel and are not adjustable.

·
Registered
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
55 Posts
I doubt going to carbs will be a performance improvement if you aren't making any other changes. If anything it will lose driveability and be way more temperamental. Also worse fuel economy.

Unless the LJet controllers themselves are dead, I don't think it would cost any more to get the injection system running properly.

I'll grant that webbers sound glorious on these cars.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
why not try get it going as it is?...worth a try, I'd say....
(you might want to get rid of that 'Clifford' alarm thing on the bulkhead, near the dead spider;), that will only cause a big pita trying to get a car running after nearly 30 years!

btw: you're missing the mounting bolt on the booster (just above the clutch master)
:)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Fred that's a nice color, looks like that uncommon metallic blue of that vintage S3. I can understand why you'd go for it.

·
Registered
what part?
10,730 Posts
I doubt going to carbs will be a performance improvement if you aren't making any other changes. If anything it will lose driveability and be way more temperamental. Also worse fuel economy.

Unless the LJet controllers themselves are dead, I don't think it would cost any more to get the injection system running properly.

I'll grant that webbers sound glorious on these cars.
,,,correct...in both accounts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,447 Posts
I'm with the gang above: see if you can get it running with the L-Jetronic. It's a good system, the car will drive better, and it'll be a lot less work.

·
Registered
what part?
10,730 Posts
never ever a ' prefect' weber set up...fi can be 99 percent perfect

·
Registered
211 Posts
One thing to note with the late carb manifold found on 1.6 S4 Spiders and a variety of European transaxle Alfas is the cooling system is the same type as a US S4 with the recirculating expansion tank. So no bleed screw in the manifold, but I’m sure you can find a way around that.

·
Administrator
14,296 Posts
I'm with the gang above: see if you can get it running with the L-Jetronic. It's a good system, the car will drive better, and it'll be a lot less work.
But heck it is fugly!. Was there a competition to make the under bonnet view as ugly as possible?

At least the Spica system looks tidy
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I’ve already owned a couple of these, an 84 and an 86. One always started and ran perfect and one was always a pain in the ***. No one drives or owns these cars because of gas mileage. I often thought it would be more fun to take out all the injection stuff and run Webers for simplicity and yes the sights and sounds. I can figure it out, was just asking for things to look out for like throttle linkage and instrument hook ups etc.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
S3 spiders like your USA jetronic, had carbs in europe anyway (the Cat - requiring an injection system - did not become mandatory in Europe till about 1992 although you do also see jetronic spiders here too) , so i can imagine you could source all the parts here in europe.

these photos show you the european underhood set up for the 2 litre S3: carbs, no cat, battery up front, euro airbox, funny old washer bag from the 60's alfas, coil on the bulkhead, no OVS stuff...likely also no vapour stuff in the trunk, a vented gas tank, different dizzy, no computors or vacuum stuff, no altitude compensation gadgets... etc

in 95+ % of the euro cars there'd also be no AC
87 euro S3 (2.0 litre)
1987 spider.jpg

88 euro S3 (2.0 litre)
1988 spider.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love this! Thanks for posting Dom! I guess to make my life simpler I should be looking for the correct throttle linkage for the firewall or would an early 105 type set up work? Also a Bosch head intake manifold for carbs? Know any sources by chance?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think you just need to grind the "lug" down on the head near the #1 port so any euro/carburetor manifold will fit. Looking at my '88 Spider, I suspect a bell crank from a 105 car or Centerline's offering will work with your existing pedal assembly.

·
Administrator
14,296 Posts
Instead of Webers, you could do a modern fuel injection with the Weber looking throttle bodies ...

Pete

Reactions: Smithy and gprocket

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instead of Webers, you could do a modern fuel injection with the Weber looking throttle bodies ...

Pete
That’s a good suggestion Pete if it weren’t for the fact that I already have the carbs and manifold etc. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Pete
Only problem is they’re around $800 each for the Jenvey Weber throttle body. Then comes the cost of the computer.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
But heck it is fugly!. Was there a competition to make the under bonnet view as ugly as possible?

At least the Spica system looks tidy
Pete
I agree Pete, but it was pretty normal for that period. Come to think of it has there ever been a mass produced engine that looked quite as good as a 60's or 70's 105/115 with twin side drafts?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts