Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for the Spica system.

:eek:Spent yesterday with the baby :).

In my effort to make the car as bulletproof as possible, I've had this pump in my parts bag for the past year and decided yesterday was the day to install it. As Roadtrip says, if you have the "old" Spica fuel pump it's not going to be a question:confused: of will it fail but instead when will it fail:(. And since I'd rather not do it on the side of a road, I decided to do it in the comfort of my garage. BTW, the pump is #90104 and costs $219.50 :eek: in the IAP catalog (no affiliation :mad:). It is the "acceptable" retrofit replacement for the orig. type pump which costs $498 :eek::eek:. I know others have tried (?) a Master brand pump that costs under $100. Since that hasn't really been proven as a retrofit, I wouldn't advise diken around.

Needed parts:

I'd recommend buying the "correct" hoses - the 12 mm tank to filter and filter to fuel pump hose is covered with a intergrated braid. I think it is a bad idea to use a generic 1/2" hose. Plus I've read that the 1/2" hose won't fit thru the metal protective hose that protects it from the heat of the tail pipe. I bought a 2' section and had about 6" left over. The fuel pump to metal line is an 8mm size. :eek: Mine had a 5/16" on it - I'm sure that size would work OK if need be. I bought a 3' section since you'll need more than what was on due to the changed location of the outlet on the new pump. Doing the pump replacement is a good time to replace all hoses especially if you don't know how long they have been on.

I fabricated a plug from a piece of the new hose and a plastic cap that fit inside. This way, when you pull the old hose out of the tank it fit right in without much of a gas spillage. I had just changed the oil in this pan which is why the gas isn't clear. The baby now has 7 qts. of fresh 20w-50 GTX in her with a nice new Purolater filter.

The old soldier still attached.

The old 12mm hoses, fuel filter and pump next to the new Bosch pump

New 3' section of 8mm attached to hard line. You'll need a longer length than the old line cause the new pump has a different outlet location. Not knowing how much exactly I'd need, I'll attach it after the pump is fitted.

Being I hate doing anything electronic, the new pump had a small marking of what was positive and negative. I made a mark on the outside so when I was fiddling on my back, I knew what was what. Later I noticed the + had a smaller screw thread than the -

You'll have to snip the old connecter and crimp the new end fittings:(

New crimped end fittings:). Make sure to slip the supplied :eek:rubber protective boots thru the wire before you crimp.

The new pump is slightly smaller than the old. I used an section of 3/4" radiator hose cut in half. It worked perfectly:cool:. I may trim the excess. I don't know if the pump gets "hot/warm" from operation and the rubber may hold in heat.

I fitted the 8mm line to the end of the pump with no kinks. I also had some conduit that I put over the line for :eek:added protection. This is the bend from the outlet fitting - it is why you need more hose then you had with the old pump which exited from the bottom.

All buttoned up tight

I didn't get to install the new under hood fuel filter which I'll do this weekend. I also didn't have to do the solder and redrill modification recommended of the Spica fitting under the hood. The low pressure light flicks for eyeblink upon key turn-on and then goes out. I didn't do a full bore run to see if it comes on but did do a run around the block up to 4 grand and it ran fine.

One last thing - before I connected the hose to the tank, I let a cupful (or so) of gas out to flush any krap out of the tank that may have been on the bottom. I thought that was a good idea.

FINAL EVALUATION: FWIW, the drill modification was not needed in my application. In all variations of driving, the LP fuel light did not appear and car ran (more than) satisfactory at all times. Since the old Spica pump was functioning perfectly before replacement, I now carry it in my parts bag (just incase).

Reactions: ossodiseppia

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Pump Upgrade.

Fantastic photos!
I hope all Spica owners can now feel comfortable installing the newer pump. The armoured conduit over the supply hase is a good idea.

I did it a few months ago and have not looked back.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you !!! I have been trying to visualize that process and these shots really help. Beautiful underside also.:)

Just wondering if you are going to change out the steel pipe?
I have had no luck finding a supplier for NOS, 'Repro or with my local sources for speciality high pressure tubing. I may have to do away with them all together and use 'protected' hose.

Thanks again, great job!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts