Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Projectors coming from Germany, but don't know if the wire harness connector is coming with them.

Does anyone have a good picture of the back of the assembly with and without the covers so I can get an idea of what pieces/parts I might need to get in advance? I've perused the threads and am thinking lacking the OEM 5 pin connectors I might need 4 9004 9007 HB1 plugs + ?

I think I understand the wiring options pretty well, and might take Steve' advice and install a diode to allow the hi and low beams to operate together. Maybe install a floor mounted dimmer switch (a la older American cars) to enable/disable the dual beam mode.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm sure your keep us upto date on the wiring and installation. I've had 2 sets of Bosch projectors. The 1st set were great, this set is terrible. I'm going to take them out and put the oem back in. The low beam is too low and the high beam is to high.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do a write-up on the install.

On your second set . . . have you looked inside to see what's different between the two sets? Did some baffles, reflectors, or something get knocked out of adjustment?

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
I installed a set of those lights, and just followed Steve's posts w/pictures. I ordered a couple of the proper connectors off eBay for several dollars each to make compatible plug and play wiring. No big deal. I also did wire in diodes to have both low and high beams on. Does make a difference.

I'll have to take a look at Richard's set. I think some of that may be adjustable by hook or by crook. I do know you can change a right hand drive set to left had drive internally, since that's what I had to do with my set.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Mine are definitely for right hand side of the road. I just can't seem to get them adjusted right. I think something is wrong with them

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
I assumed yours are dipped correctly for our roads. I'm thinking there might be some sort of adjustment for either the high or low beam bulb holders? I cannot imagine why Bosch would change that alignment difference between high and low beams since that difference is pretty universal.

PS, drove your car today to move it in the cul-de-sac temporarily. Gee, it sure feels/drives differently than my car.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
LOL yours are pretty nice, Del. I've spent more time on the red car. The black one starts a little hard, probably hose on the fuel pump, and the suspension needs to be done. But, when I get home I've got a heater motor to put in Kevin's nice red 164L, sort the clutch issue with my red car, replace the brake master on my red, thinking I might as well do the clutch master at the same time, sand and epoxy the canoe, put new front lock out hubs on Alpaca Mikes F250, get the sun roof to close on his black car, replace some wood on the exterior of the house, put up the fence to keep the Canadian Geese out of the yard, get Alpaca Mikes Green Alfa 164 running, fence Alpaca Mikes rental farm so I can raise some beef, get my 1972 Berlina running, rebuild the engine for the 1973 Berlina and the list goes on. My black car is on the back burner at the moment:)

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
I wasn't implying that there is anything wrong with the black car, just feels different with the controls, slightly different alignment, steering feel, etc. Started fine.

Late at night, you ever think you have maybe too much on your plate, lol.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Del...I'm glad it started alright for you:) Often you have to give it some throttle to get it to start. Maybe the Idle Actuator is sticking, and it oes need suspension work:)

We'll have to arrange a BBQ this summer. Let me know what month suits you. I may invite a few other Alfisiti as well.

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
That would be a fun event.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
I'm in the states in Nov for a bit, bbq sounds good!! Aside from painting the hood on R2's car Mr Del, why not rewire the lights as well? ciao jc

·
Premium Member
15,603 Posts
Yeah, an orbital sander and a couple of spray cans of gloss black ought to do it. Have already redyed the black leather seats, as the cracks were showing. I'll do the dash as well.

The dealer, Lino, kept asking me who I have do the detailing on my cars. I just laughed and said, why, me, of course. He left his green 164 at my house one time when he took one of the cars in for some sort of service, so I detailed it out on the outside (he didn't leave the keys, so I couldn't do the interior, alas). He didn't notice since it was dark when he returned my car and took his, but the next day his wife wanted to know why/when he had the car detailed, and that it looked pretty good for a change. He couldn't figure it out at first but finally realized that I was the only person to have time with his car. He just shook his head. Told him I had the time, so why not... I mean, I've only known them since the early 60's. Good people.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Del, so 3 weeks should be enough time for a complete DIY paint job on mine...gloss black isn t quite what I had in mind though...

Chris ANYtime your in the PNW your welcome to a BBQ at my place. The spare room is available also:)

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
I have a set of Projectors coming from Germany, but don't know if the wire harness connector is coming with them.

Does anyone have a good picture of the back of the assembly with and without the covers so I can get an idea of what pieces/parts I might need to get in advance? I've perused the threads and am thinking lacking the OEM 5 pin connectors I might need 4 9004 9007 HB1 plugs + ?

I think I understand the wiring options pretty well, and might take Steve' advice and install a diode to allow the hi and low beams to operate together. Maybe install a floor mounted dimmer switch (a la older American cars) to enable/disable the dual beam mode.
The OEM harness is used on the 164 in the door wire harness cluster, so if you can find a used car to get 2, that is the same plug used on the headlights. The turn signal harness is the same harness used on the side marker lights in the front and rear bumper. All models.

I may have some laying around but will have to dig out of some snow. 15" 2 days ago. UGH!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Jason. Probably take a couple weeks for them to get here anyway.

Hopefully I got an ok deal on them at $135 each including shipping. Pictures looked good. I'll see for sure when they get here.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Not to sound as this is going to sound Mr John but what are you hoping to accomplish? Are the US lights pretty bad? ciao chris

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vanity. Mostly like the look of the Projectors vice the Carrellos. I'll have to see how much better they perform, if any. Performance of the Carrellos are perfectly acceptable, however.

·
Premium Member
26,885 Posts
The good two 9004 Carellos, the better Elma two H4 aka 9003 amd the more better Bosch H1 four bulbs with low beam projectors. Do the math.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts