Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs in their Spider? I've used the Platinum 4 plugs is all of my highway vehicles for quite some time now and I like 'em. I was going to replace the plugs in my '82 Spider with the Plat 4's but I have yet to find a listing for the 2L engine. I have found application for the GTV6. I suppose it doesn't matter much I could use the Plat 2's, it's just a preference.

BTW I did do a search of the BB.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
There are several threads on spark plugs, with varying opinions. From my experience as a long time car enthusiast and Alfa owner, I have always known that the regular Bosch plugs have always been great plugs. However, the general consensus (backed by the experience of many) has been that they are not the best suited for the Spiders, since they are more prone to fouling. I have tried the Bosch 4 platinums on my '84 Spider, and although they don't seem to foul up as quickly as the regular Bosch, they still did after a few thousand miles. Hence, I'm staying with my preference for either Champion, NGK or Lodge. No real preference between the three, but I am planning on trying the NGK iridiums at some point. If it can't be helped, I will use Bosch plugs, but only until I can get one of the other brands.

Best regards,

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Geezer,
I have used the Plat4 plugs once for about 500 miles. Not impressed. Pulled them out and replaced them with Bosch Single Plat. Been using these for over 3 years, changed out once, and am very satisfied. Gap them to .030.
Champions are 2nd on my list.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I wouldn't use Bosch plugs in my lawn mower. I used them once in my DD before a road trip and ended up buying other plugs at my destination cause the car ran like krap. For the short while I've had my GTV:) , I put standard (non-plats) NGK's in shortly after I bought the car when the car wouldn't start once with the Golden Lodges in it - and I haven't looked back.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm running Bosch Iridium plugs in our Alfa. I had platinums in there. All I can say is the iridium plugs are working much better than the fouled plugs I had in there previously.

I'm using Bosch part # 4510.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been using Bosch plugs of one type or another for 30 years in several different cars and have not had a problem with them. No fouling, good gap retention, long-lasting. I currently have the Platinum 4's (purchased from Centerline) in my Spider. This is my first Alfa and I've only put a couple thousand miles on it so I have little to compare my experience to, but these plugs seem to work fine for me.

Tifosi did an interesting write-up on spark plugs and how he prepares NGK's for installation in his Spider. I can't find it at the moment, but it is worth looking for.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes, that is the one. I have not tried this technique, though it is on my to-do list.

Now that I see the title of that thread, I don't know why I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I use them as I had the J type plugs hit the valves.
but had a oil leak (stem seal leak ) on the Verde and they do foul if somthing is not right. So I put in a used plug out of the camery and wow that plug is great it look like the +2 but then I got looking for them and the are like $22 each!! (NGK lazer Iridium I think) but I think they might be worth it as they seem to never foul and will last easy for 100,000 miles. If every thing is right no oil burning not runing pig rich the +4 will work fine I have used them on both my Alfa cars. But if you run rich or burn oil look for something else. And I would not use any J type plug due to the chance of them hitting the valves like this one did.
see how much more room the +4 has

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have used the plat 4s in my weber converted 76 spider for two years now and no issues.Had ngk bp6es before and had some fouling.I also converted to electronic ignition with bosch blue coil witch might be making a difference.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Platinum tends to inhibit the spark at higher rpms. It does a great job of preventing corrosion and buildup, but can be a performance loss at higher rpms. I have heard some very convincing arguments from a local German repair shop/tuner owner for the copper +4's.

My preference is NGK iridium (which works just as well at corrosion and build-up protection as platinum) and NGK Vpowers. Not that NGK is the only good brand and Bosch isn't, it is juts my preference.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never would have thought that fouling would be such a big issue. Back when I was a mechanic(quit that in '75) plug fouling didn't seem to be an issue with the Alfa's that I serviced unless there were some serious internal issues. BTW I used NGK's back then. In an oil burner or a car that is grossly out of tune no plug would be good enough.

My question stems from just being lazy I suppose. I use the Plat 4's in my daily drivers 'cuz I can run 'em for 50-60K and not have to fuss with the plug gap. So far mine have been foul free and my ole Mazda 2600 PU is approaching 300k with no problems. Same with my other rides the past 10 or so years.

The ole Chick Magnet appears to be in good condition, no oil burning, and the plugs are a nice light tan color.

For those who have used Plat 4's, what part number did you use?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
As I recall, the more intense the field the more likely the conductor will ionize the gas and prompt the discharge.

On any surface the tighter the curvature, the more intense the field becomes, with a point of infinite sharpness providing the ultimate intensity.

The characteristics of iridium seem to be used to make a conductor as small as possible and still be durable in a v. hostile environment.

Haven't used them but they make sense to me. When I was running my turboed Alfetta Sport Sedan plug fouling was a chronic problem.

Been using NGKs in the Leg. T Wagon with no probs up to 1 bar boost.

Oops- embarassed now--haven't looked to see what brand and range is used in the Spider.:p

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use Champions. I have used NGK and the Bosch plugs. My car has Webers and runs a little rich but it runs quite strong. The NGK's fouled sometimes the Boschs fouled quite a bit. I guess you have to find what works the best for your car. Changing the plugs on these cars is about as easy as it gets. Experiment and see what work the best for your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts