Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2600 is always a bit hard to start(require full choke with solex carbs). I am thinking of experimenting with the bosch platinum 4 electrode used on 4 cylinder cars and GTV 6 , sold by centerline. A bit pricey ..but I am always stressing that one of this days the car might not start when totally cold after a long stay in the garage(happened once).. I was wondering if anyone had tried those or if someone had a suggestion to get a better start(I do have the 123 distributor).. could it be the timing? The car runs really well besides that.. I know that the solex unlike the webers cannot be primed with the accelerator pedal and require vaccum to get going...any suggestions welcome..
Herve

·
Push hard and live
10,484 Posts
My recollection of the Solex carbs is that they do have an accelerator pump, and therefore can be primed by pumping the pedal. However, my guess is that you have vacuum leaks somewhere which are making the starting too lean. I'd check all the normal places. The plugs won't make nearly as much difference as the modern ignition system that you already have on the car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm with Don.

It is a possibility that you have too much advance set and thus the car wont want to fire-up, so you should at least check the curve setting you have on the 123... and check the coil, spark gap, leads too.
But if it does start with full choke, and then run happily, it sounds more like a carb problem than electric.

I big coil (like the Pertronix Flame thrower), some NGK Platinum/Iridium plugs and the 123 Distributer should make for a superb ignition set up.

Perhaps you might look at fuel pump too - or some filters for blockages. But unless you feel hesitations on running, then this seems an unlikely issue.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Herve: When you switch on the ignition, you should be able to hear the fuel pump working and slow down after a few seconds (5-10 seconds) when the pressure builds up. Try listening for that slow-down before engaging the starter. If the engine starts OK after the wait (and/or if you have to wait much longer), you may have a small leak that allows air to enter the fuel line.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,124 Posts
Yeah, I had the NGK Iridiums on my TR7. They were great: that car was running quite rich for a while and they did NOT foul. I plan to put them in my Guilia when it's due.

·
Push hard and live
10,484 Posts
Believe it or not, NipponDenso (ND) is a better plug. They are much harder to find, and seem to have deleted many of the exotic numbers they used to have. ND was the first to introduce the "U-Groove" ground electrode, which NGK mimicked with their V-groove on the core electrode. NGK has a better marketing arm, whereas ND just sort of goes along on the coattails of Toyota. I have used both brands in quite a variety of stuff, and if I could get ND Gold, they were always the best. Alas, too hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts