Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
399 Posts
I don't think the VVT was made by Bosch? I could be wrong. In any case it's NLA, so you're might be stuck with used ones.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Take it apart and clean it. They don't go bad that often. Most of the time its the circuit board in the connector.

·
Premium Member
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
399 Posts
The circuit board can be repaired if you're good with a soldering iron. Or you can replace it with an electronic (not electromechanical) relay like this one:

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
yep, not Bosch and NLA (although I have a NOS)
but really you need to say what is actually wrong, and why you are looking for one, before throwing $$ at it.

A non working VVT can be something as simple as a blown 8A inline fuse (or melted bullet fuse holder)
or a gummed up solenoid (very easy to open and clean)
or that plastic connector has failed (more difficult repair)
or the VVT cog itself, the oil passages perhaps blocked.

to test whether the VVT cog is advancing the cam and the solenoid is working, is quite simple:
remove that plastic connector (#7 in diagram above) and let engine idle. Now apply 12V to the 2 spade terminals and hold it there a few seconds.........if your idle goes erratic and engine almost wants to stall, both the solenoid and the gearing are working.

·
Premium Member
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
399 Posts
Is the variator still there? Have you looked under the cam cover? Most of the aftermarket hotter cams don't work with the VVT. You may have a non-stock intake cam?

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Thank you all. Believe it or not it is missing from the car in question.
just the solenoid or the whole mounting bracket is missing?
Possible someone backdated to the centrifugal VVT which has no solenoid (early 80's spiders).....in that case you need to take off the cam cover and check: this is the centrifugal type
Gear Wood Bicycle part Art Gas

the whole thing would look like this (red line is just pointing out the pin that actuates the VVT cog)
Gas Machine Auto part Metal Nickel

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I have the car in question here, Thanks Tina!
88 Veloce - Engine runs and drives but throws oil everywhere and injectors were leaking, doh! Working on all that now.
I have the mount and plunger just no solenoid. I did the test while running of reaching in and pushing the plunger and the idle fell off and almost stalled. I let go and it came back to a smooth-ish idle.
I get a picture and PN off the cam & will go look for the plug too as there are no wires currently hanging out in that position.
I currently have the cover off and well as intake down to the manifold. For cleaning and good reseal. There was so much oil and grim that if you just walked by and looked at the car you'd have grease on your elbow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts