Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a mechanic at Barber Shop Auto the other day, and he mentioned he was looking at doing a hotwire conversion on a Spider. I'm reasonably familiar with Bosch LH injection (lotsa Saabs) and have some experience with L-Jet (some BMWs, now the Milano), so the idea intrigued me.

I've looked into hotwire conversions on Ford EEC-IV cars (XR4Ti in the driveway...), and it's a big PITA due to the way that the ECUs work... With vane-type meters, air mass is inferred from temperature and volume, but with hotwire types air mass is read directly. There is no real 1:1 conversion, just hacks to make it work. I know there are hotwire conversions for BMW and Porsche - and assume Alfa - but I've no first-hand experience as to how well they work. I know the conversions on German cars aren't cheap.

All that said, I posited that it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt LH to a Spider. All the basic electronic Jetronic components are there, and if you used a donor like a 2.0l Saab, the ECU & air mass meter (AMM) should be fairly well calibrated to run a Spider engine - certainly good enough to run the car, though perhaps not extract maximum performance. Similar engine characteristics and similar performance are the keys here.

I ran my Saab on Volvo components for many months with good results - the Volvo was calibrated for larger injectors on a larger motor, which worked well for my slightly-tweaked 2.0l. I dumped the setup because custom fuel chips became available...

Owning no Spider, I'm just curious now - Has anyone ever tried this on a Spider? Anyone in the Sacramento area wanna try it? I have boxes of Saab LH 2.2 stuff, including several complete engine wiring harnesses, computers, and AMMs. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours to get it set up.

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
hi.. i have been working on the same system.... i was planning to do this this spring....on my sytem i am planning on, i will be useing lh-jet, and 4 throttle bodys..and i live in sacto..give me an e-mail..:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like fun to me... Four throttlebodies should prove an interesting challenge, since you'll still have to feed them from a common plenum - I'm not sure what the real-world advantage is there, but it'll sure look neat. :D

I'll shoot you an email...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts