Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my aux valve the other day on my 89 Bosch spider. Cold, it is open, and heated in the oven it closes fully. My question is, how "open" is open? When fully cold, the open part is a small pie-wedge shape in the "throttle" plate that's open maybe 3/8". Is that normal for fully open? I did read the Bosch L-Jet notes on this, but didn't see a spec on the normal open distance. Thanks

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is helpful, thanks. Mine's not open that far at cold. Time to get the carb cleaner or mess with the adjustment screw.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did; it didn't open any farther after that, compared to sitting around in 65 degree outdoor weather.

Andrew

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Throw it in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then take a look just to be sure.

The sorry part about the AAV is that if you get it to open far enough, then it likely won't close enough when cold, or, if you get it to close all the way, it likely won't open enough for good cold starts.

If you have to choose one, make it so it closes as you don't spend a whole lot of time starting it, but you do spend a bunch driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts