Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Bosch module for GTV6/Milano is 0 227 100 111. There are many Bosch modules which look alike and have similar numbers but it is hard to determine the difference. I bought a 0 227 100 100 equivalent on ebay New Ignition Module Bosch for Lada, VW Golf, Jetta. Made In Usa - BM300 | eBay
thinking that it would be similar. I tested one of each today and they perform differently. The 111 is a "smart" module and it modulates the dwell angle and coil current to keep the average current below 0.7 amps. The 100 module is not "smart" and it drives the coil in accordance with the dwell cycle of the signal that it receives. It is a good choice for a Megasquirt ignition where the dwell time is controlled by MS but it is likely to cook the coil if it is driven straight from the Hall pickup, as on Milano's and GTV6's.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I tried using a different Bosch module that is a replacement but, the car will not run and had to use the original Bosch 0 227 100 111. I tried to start the car with the new Bosch module and it ran only for a few seconds. The 2.5 and 3.0 use the same module and have two different Milanos. I have ordered a used module from Alfa Parts exchange, two used modules from Germany and a used module and coil from Israel because I have one Milano that will not start. I have switched the good module and it works in both cars. I do not know what the GTV6 uses but, it may be the same module.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bosch 0 227 100 111 works for 84 and later GTV6's - the ones with Hall pickups as well as all Milanos if they have stock L-Jet ignition. They will also work with Megasquirt up to about 5800 rpm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
as an alternative to the original Bosch 0 227 100 111 spare part you can use the equivalent Beru ZM001.
For 0 227 100 100 equivalent Beru is ZM002.

Regards
Jacky

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are many Bosch modules in the 0227 series and I once spent a lot of time trying to find which ones were exactly the same and what were the differences between others but I was unsuccessful. Can you point to the data that shows the Beru equivalents?

·
Registered
47 Posts
only a clarification
I found this in my old notes

Part number 0227100111
Designation Trigger box, ignition
Production discontinuation 05/2003
Type formula TZ 29 I
Alternative product 0227100123

Bye

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I see replacements for the Bosch 0 227 100 123 on eBay for ~$30. Product needn't be Bosch.

At these prices, I have several aftermarket spares for the Bosch units (one of the Bosch has already failed) used in our LS.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The 227 100 111 will also work with the earlier non-hall effect 2 wire distributor that had the 227 100 117 ignition box (module) as long as the rest of the ignition system is in good condition and wired correctly

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I purchased a new Bosch 0 227 100 123 module, and the engine would not run for more than five seconds.
Maybe connection was wrong then? Bought from a dealer, a new non functioning unit should be replaced without charge.

Anyway always better with original unit then a copy from China :) The original actually is made in the US.

https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0227100123?returnPage=https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-search?p_p_id=epdssearchresult_WAR_aaecatportlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-2&p_p_col_count=1&autoLoad=1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I bought the unit from a BMW independent repair shop and have told that it may work or may not work. I installed the module in two Milanos and had the same result. I purchased three used modules and will see what happens. The finding of replacement parts for a thirty year old car is never ending and the Milano ignition system has a Hall detector distributor, Hall detector module, and two computer boxes which may be hard to locate.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased a new Bosch 0 227 100 123 module, and the engine would not run for more than five seconds.
On which car?
Did you use heat conducting paste between the back of the module and the heat sink? Was it genuine Bosch?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I see on schematics that the connection of the original 0 227 100 017 is quite different than the connection of the 0 227 100 123. That should not be a big problem as long as long as you know how to connect the later BIM 123. However the original unit has one wire with shield from the inductive sensor in the distributor, while the 123 has two wires with shield from the distributor. Wrong connecting those wires could cause loss of signal!
Schematic of orignal BIM017 and the substitute BIM 123

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The above diagrams are for an early GTV6 with an inductive sensor. From 84 - 86 they had Hall pickups which used a module of the type that I referenced in post #1. This is the same module that is used on Milanos. An inductive (VR) pickup must have a module that is designed to use the low level signal that it generates. It will not work with a module that is designed to work with the 12V square wave that is generated by the hall sensor and the hall sensor will not work with a module designed for an inductive sensor.
If you are unsure of what type of pickup you have then remove the distributor cap. The inductive snensor is fired by a 6 pointed star shaped rotor. The Hall sensor is triggered by a rotating metal can with 6 slots cut out of it.

Some of the subsequent posts have muddied the waters

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I was told the Bosch 0 227 100 123 was a replacement for Bosch 0 227 100 111 and it should work but, neither Milano will run with this new Bosch module. The 1987 Milano Silver and 1988 Milano Verde have the same Bosch module and changed one because I thought I had an ignition problem but, that was not the problem. Unfortunately, I lost the original module and purchased four used modules. I will test each one and hope that one works.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts