Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, finally picked up a project ( I know, I know, lol) Series 3 spider that I understand cranks but no fire - I think tank/fuel is suspect as fuel is clearly old so need to drain/treat tank. Also learned that the Bosch cars need all their volts so a new battery should be installed if I can not properly bring old battery up to charge. Intake duct has holes (will repair this while a source new duct intake) and chase down other vac leaks. My question is how many electrical grounds do I need to find and clean on a '83 spider? I understand that poor grounds on these cars can create a lot of trouble and non start issues - does anyone have a diagram or sticky on these grounds and their locations? Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,047 Posts
My question is how many electrical grounds do I need to find and clean on a '83 spider?
Haha - all of them!!

Well, seriously, I don't know if anyone has tallied them all. I can think of a few off hand - most important is the main battery ground cable to the floor of the trunk. Then there are two on the engine - one right side rear kinda under the plenum and another under a bolt for the Aux Air Valve. Plus there is a braided strap between the plenum and the intake. Under the car there is a braided strap between the bell housing & the transmission tunnel. Then there is one or more on the radiator support - often hard to see because the hood doesn't allow your head to get in there.

While you're cleaning grounds (and have the battery disconnected), clean the positive leads - battery, on the starter motor & the junction box on the left inner fender. I advise replacing the fuses & cleaning the fuse box connections - vital if you have the old style bullet fuses & still a good idea if you have the newer blade type fuses. The bullet fuses are known to look OK but somehow fail to pass electrons.

Now then we need to remind you of our unwritten rules about photos. We likes photos so you have to post some. They could even be of your Spider...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, thanks Eric! Very complete information on grounds, thanks! Yes, pics coming I already have several "befores" and will post sxome "afters" - my first Alfa, should be fun. I have a pretty good record for reviving the dead, mostly old German cars, we shall see with this very Italian car. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts