Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on the BB and on the web. I'm looking for both the male and female Bosch connectors for the cam angle sensor. I suppose any 3-conductor connector, like the GM-style "weathertite" would do. But Bosch is preferable.

Maybe a junkyard? From other European makes? :confused:

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
While you are looking for connectors, see if you can find a source for the rubber boots that go behind them to seal the backsides. :)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Actually, the crank angle sensor on my '89 240 Volvo has the same 3 wire connector. So you could go to a salvage yard and cut the male and female connectors out of one of those if need be. Should be same from 89 - 93. 740 as well, not sure on the years on those, but should be up to about 95. B230F engine. Maybe some Turbo Bricks have same too? Just look to the back of the head, connector directly above clipped to firewall. Sensor mounts at top of bellhousing.
Charles

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Don't give up on the possibility that the sensor itself from the Volvo is compatible. Maybe it's not, but it is unsatisfying to cut up the spare set of trousers to make a patch for the old ones. Yes, I've done an equivalent thing, and that's why I remember.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm.

My brother has a 740. He spends his time on the BrickBoard.....

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
On Bricks and 164s

I'm much more comfortable and happy here, but I've been spending a lot of time on www.brickboard.com recently. Fixing lots of issues on my 244. It's kind of funny, the 240 is the most diametrically opposite car I can think of to the 164. Which means it is easy to work on and easy to find parts, but is NOT fun to drive, particularly beautiful, rare or exciting to listen to. Those Volvo guys have a lot of passion for them though (like here) and you have to respect that. ;) I think it will make a perfect backup car for when the 164 throws a surprise at me (and it might, you just never know). ;)
Charles

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Well, my approach is to have 3 Alfas and hope to have 30% of them running at any one time:)
Bosch connectors can be found on eBay from time to time.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The name for that type of plug is Jr. timer
we have them here VEMS Shop
but I think we only stock the one side for both the injectors and the 3pin
the 3 pin is also used on the TPS.
where ever you get them try to get the type with the release wire it is so much nicer.
the contacts come in 2 types but ether seem to fit the plastic. the OEM used the cheap low-current type.
the power Jr. timmer type have a spring to push the contacts together and seems to work a lot better then non-power type.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The only issue I would see is that the Volvo sensor has a shielded bundle and have a serious issue of the wiring rotting and causing problems. I probably replace three to four pickups a week. The wires are so thin that it would probably not be a permanent repair.

think it will make a perfect backup car for when the 164 throws a surprise at me
On a different note... When my 16V 740 popped the idler for the timing belt I didn't even look at it. I could have pulled the head and repaired it for a few hundred bucks......
As my wife says "It's a grandma car":eek:

It got smooshed. I'd rather rely on Alfas!
Well, I did buy a new Suzuki Grand Vitara as a backup for the "Fetta and the 164S:D

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
My wife is of Scandinavian decent and has spent lots of time on Norway as a kid visiting her grandparents, so she thinks it's cool. ;) In fact, earlier in the day that I found this 244, I took her to she a '67 122 Amazon wagon with a manual trans and A/C (very rare setup), which she thought was VERY cool (it did run like a top). I thought it was too, but not for $2000. I'd rather buy another 164 for that kind of dough. On the connectors, those are just what I need, I don't know why Alfa didn't put the quick connect injector pigtails on our injectors and IAC (the thermo time switch does have the nice connector), even the 244 has nice ones. I hope those are AMP brand?
Charles

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
AMP brand connectors and rubber boots in Florida: http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html I don't know anything about these people, but have nice items on this page for our 164s. Show a male 2 wire connector but not a 3 wire, maybe give them a call?
Charles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts