Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a new or used Auxiliary Air Valve for my 1988 Spider 2.0 L-Jetronic (Bosch part number 0280140140).

I am hoping to find one that completely blocks air flow through the tubes when hot.

The wiper plate on the one I currently have appears to twist open and closed properly (no light shows through tubes when hot), but air still passes through the tubes freely when the plate shows closed. Either it's not closing completely when very hot, or it's broken/defective inside.

If you have a used Bosch 0280140140 that is untested, I am willing to pay a reasonable price and won't ask for a refund if it doesn't work (providing the price is fairly low).

If you have one that is new, or tested and "working properly" (can see light through tubes at 70F or less, and after applying 12V to contacts for 2 hours, no light is seen, and no air passes, through tubes), I might pay an exorbitant price.

I'm not interested in fabricating a manual control valve, but before I buy a new AAV designed for a different make of car (and then fiddle with constricting the tube clearance to try and match the 0280140140 "cold" open allowance), I thought I'd see what was available from my fellow alfisiti.

You can PM me, or email me directly at [email protected].

·
Registered
312 Posts
The AAV is not available nor supported nor manufactured by Bosch or others such as SMP, etc. There are several that may be comparable but because of differing Bosch part numbers may have different air by-pass requirements.

I have the same problem as you, wanting to use the original AAV and related system components.

I am currently expecting a late model GTV L-Jetronic AAV coming in the next few days and will be trying it for comparison. May have to come up with a restriction to reduce any air mass to fit the spider requirements. This is the next must on my list. Will post the results to this thread and to board.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What part number did you order?

I am currently expecting a late model GTV L-Jetronic AAV coming in the next few days and will be trying it for comparison. May have to come up with a restriction to reduce any air mass to fit the spider requirements. This is the next must on my list. Will post the results to this thread and to board.
What model/part number of AAV did you order?
Is it a Bosch unit?
Is it brand new or used?

Thanks,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Part #0280140124; Bosch - used; belongs to I believe 1986 or later GTV (Sixer). As I mentioned before, I do not know whether it will work since the air opening requirements may be different than the one for the Spider 4 cal. I am going to see if I can make it useable with the Spider including possibly computing a restrictor opening to meet the Spider requirements.

Give me until after this weekend since we are having visitors, I will put in on my car and will at least give you my experience and opinion; I probably will not have any information on a possible restrictor size.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did put part #0280140124 (Aux. Air Valve) and it did start while the atmosphere and engine were warm. The unit was fully closed at the time several starts were made; now, we have to see how it does on several cold starts and cooler outside temperatures; then, performance evaluation to see if we can use the unit as a replacement.

I also have a Porsche which has Motronics Bosch Injection; will see what Porsche AAVs are available and possibly used.

Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
OK. Here is the check I did before cleaning. Started my car then closed off the air outlet from the AAV; rpm dropped from approximately 1500 (cold start warmup) to approximately 1000 rpm (warm idle on my car); did this sequentially over the next three to five minutes with subsequent reduced rpm drop at each stage; final taken there was not any change at all. Thus, the valve is operating properly.

I put the valve in the ref rig overnight and then watched it move as it warmed up to house temperature. Again, indicates the thermo bimetallic is working. Electrical was checked on the foregoing test.

The AAV used on the V6 alfa does work in place of the 0280140140 and seems to operate normally as original. I have not tried adjusting the opening and closing, will not since the valve is operating normally. I think any similar physical Bosch will work including Porsche, VW, and Fiat (I hate to mention this name, Fix It Again Tony! LOL

Hope this helps someone, now on to solving my starting problem. Nice to have the Alfa running again.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts