Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'm quite surprised to see, on the pictures of Rick, that there is "volcano" on the exterior side of the rim:
Serge says "volcano" - Borrani called them either 'dimpled' or 'non-dimpled' rims. I think they were just a variation on how the wheels were designed and built.

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe the dimples are there as well, visibility is blocked by the difference in the height of the rim, the middel/inner part. On the second picture you can only see a litle bit of the spokes, I would believe the dimples/volcanos are there bit blocked bby the rim itself

·
Push hard and live
9,315 Posts
Likely to prevent internal bumps that could create localized heat due to chafing, causing tire failure.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Maybe the dimples are there as well, visibility is blocked by the difference in the height of the rim, the middel/inner part.
A better picture.

P1060431.jpg

My question is not : why there is dimples ?
But : Is that an option ?
Or : Is there a year of production when the external dimples appears ?
Or again : Were the 2000 T originaly equiped with Borrani with external dimples or without (as the Borrani on picture)

·
Registered
66 Posts
There’s no chance that the dimples have been polished out!
We restore a lot of Borranis and have seen wheels with the same RW number both with and without dimples.
it’s not related to production date and both formats were used right to the end of the production of the classic style (rolled and welded) rims. The undimpled rims are thicker and the nipple seats are countersunk into the rim so the heads don’t protrude and interfere with the tubes. I think undimpled are available now on some of the modern style (spun) Borrani rims. The latter have quite a different profile to the old style and this is quite obvious once you notice it. For The real original look new Borranis are not correct, so sourcing old ones is very worthwhile.

dimples

Hi All,

All my Alfa 1900 , 2000 and 2600 original Borrani wire wheels have original dimples ("vulcanos")

I think that the dimples on your alu rim pictures are lost by polishing ................

rgds Franco

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If you have your record wheels rebuilt, I would suggest that you ask the wheel builder not to polish out the 'RW' stamp information and date code. I've seen rebuilt wheels that had this information polished off and re-stamped with a different font. It seems like a part of the history was lost; the wheels might as well have been new reproductions or something.

I'd sure like to see the original posters final results!
Mark

·
Administrator
12,074 Posts
Heck if they have been polished that much, would they still be strong enough and safe to use?
Pete

21 - 28 of 28 Posts