Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been several posts on the subject of wire wheel transformations for the 102 Spider - but I can't seem to find any photos which definitively feature the RW 3582. I'm thinking of ordering a set and want to be sure that I'm buying the right thing. Does anyone have photos of a 102 fitted with RW 3582's that they could post here? Many thanks. John

·
Push hard and live
10,180 Posts
You might contact Dougal at Longstone Tyre. However, I've not quite understood his explanations on Boranni.

I may order a set as well, if I can get an answer I understand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don - and yes I've been speaking to Simon at Longstone there (he's actually the Borrani expert there). He contacted the factory and they confirmed that RW 3582 is the wheel to fit. I'm just trying to find some real live examples on cars to see if it fills out the wheel arch correctly. The look I'm after is shown on this car which appears to reside in Melbourne, Australia - but there isn't sufficient detail in the photo to read the RW code.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
10,180 Posts
If you visit the Borrani website, you'll see that there are more than one number listed for the 2000, and a few more for the 2600. My questions about the multiple factory numbers have not been coherently answered. At least to me.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
From time to time I like to check C/A to see what new products they have in stock.

I noticed:
1900/102-049 LOCK TAB WASHER FOR SPLINED HUB 1900 - Classic Alfa

Product Description:
Lock Tab washer for splined hub 1900. Only for cars with splined front hubs for wire wheels..

I don't have these tab washers on my 'wired' Touring Roadster but I take exception with their description. The 'true original' splined hubs on the front of a 1900/2000/2600, do still have lug nuts under the wheel center but "all" they do is hold the brake drum in place until the knock off nut is installed and torqued to spec.; the lug nuts and tab washers would seem somewhat superfluous.

The rear splined hubs (spiders) are bolted on only with the lug nuts and it seems like the tab washers would be a good idea. I don't recall if wire wheels or tab washers are listed (for front or rear axles) in the Two-Liter parts manual.

Using 'spiders' on the front axles, instead of splined front hubs doesn't seem to be a good idea to me. Alfa Romeo did not use spiders on the front axles, as far as I know but I believe some aftermarket kits supply spiders for the front axle -probably because it does not require changing out the front hubs and or bearings.

Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the info Mark. I'm guessing that pale blue car in the photo is yours? And therefore the wheels on it are RW 3598 (ex Ferrari 250)? They look amazing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts