Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My names Andrew from Adelaide, South Australia. Seems everybody is using this forum, thought I probably should follow the trend! I'm a member of the Alfa Romeo club here in SA.

As for Alfas, my daily driver is a '90 Alfa 33 16V. Well, its actually got an 8v Twin carb in it (waits for uproar). But there is reason for this! I needed a car to use as a car is intended (funny concept really), just to get to work and uni and to drive in the rain and carry people (my other car is incapable of all four of these requirements!). So I needed a car, and we had a 16V body we were trying to sell. We also had an old tired 8v engine, and so with neccesity being the mother of invention we married the two into a gloriously comical and slightly disapointing car. Having said this, it is the most reliable Alfa we have ever owned - in three years of driving it has never ever let me down. As the engine has countless km's and 5 seasons of competiton under its belt it cant really spin the wheels on wet grass, and leaves a healthy trail of blue smoke wherever it goes. Having said this the extractors and exhaust means that it sounds really nice, second gear in alleyways is addicitive! We are building a new 8v motor for it at the moment, so soon it will be a nice daily.

Now and for the last few years I have been competing in Supersprints at mallala in my dads '87 Sprint. His car has the 16V quad cam engine in it with the 1200 Sud gearbox, and a few other minor suspension and braking tweaks. This is a blast to drive, my best time at Mallala in it is a 1.31.29 for those who know the track. We are pretty happy with this as the car is reasonable stock, and is fun catching other faster cars through the turns. Dad is also building another Sprint race car.

I know its not an Alfa, but my car is a '79 Fiat X19. I bought the car when I had just got my L plates when I was 16, and luckily it survived my P years (Im 19 now). It was fairly stock, and at the start of this year I made the mistake of doing some motorsport in it, I did a few sprints at mallala and a few Hillclimbs at collingrove and bathurst. It made me realise the potential for this car is pretty high, so in the last month I have pulled it apart and am restoring it. Its getting the small spots of rust fixed, a fresh bare metal respray, bigger brakes, coilovers, some wanky sparco fixed back seats, harnesses and a half cage. But more importantly I am in the process of turbocharging it, with intercooler and all that jazz. Ive got most of the parts, just a matter of finding the time around work and uni to build it! Nothing crazy but Im thinking 160hp, 850kg and half decent mid engined handling should be some fun!

Anyway sorry for the long rant, but yeah thats me...:)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the X19 will be a fun little car, good luck with the build. We don't mind people talking about Fiats occassionally, so long as you never mention anything Japanese! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome to the forum 8v16v. Shame your doing up another 8v for the series 3. They hoot with the 4 cam motor, but you already know that! Your dads sprint sounds great. Got a photo? I guess with the number of 16V Suds and Sprints around, its going to get harder to find original 16V cars at all soon, so all the more reason to find a 16v for it.

I dont get the X/19 thing, sorry. Spend the 20 grand on lotto tickets. You might get half back then. Gee, you could have some nice Alfas for that money. Good luck with it but. It'll be interesting to see your times in the X/19 v the Sprint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, go the X1/9, great car, and you're right, they have alot of potential.

If you're thinking of turbocharging, you know the 1.4 from the Fiat Uno Turbo fits straight in? 120bhp out of the box, with obviously lots more available. May be quite a hard engine to find in OZ, but loads of people did that back home in NZ, and there may be the odd engine floating around back there? Just a thought.

I'm going to Mallala this weekend to help out some mates at the 6 hr, I'll look out for the x1/9 or the smoky 33.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Pete - thanks for correcting my oversight! MG's aren't much more than a rubbish skip on wheels!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, this is a great forum. unfortunatly I wont be going to the 6 hour, just started a new job (gotta pay for the fiat somehow) and I think asking for my very first sunday there off would be asking a bit much!

As for the rebuilt 8v, it was a matter of what we had. We didnt think it needed a full rebuild when we started, hence why it was slated to go in. But as things do it all added up and in hindsight would have got another 16V, but ah well these things happen!

As for X V Sprint it will be very interesting. As I said at the moment the most we can ring out of the sprint is a low '31. The most I can ring out of the fiat is a low 1.36. Having said this the fiat is bog stock, has about 80hp, weighs about 50kg more than the Sprint. It does handle far better through the corners, and I suspect the cornering speeds are much higher than the sprint. Unfortunatly it just doesnt have enough power to do a quick time!

As for the Uno Turbo idea, you have read my mind. All of the stuff I have (turbo, exhaust manifold, dump pipe, intake manifold and fuel injection system) is from an Uno turbo. We are rebuilding my 1500cc engine with low compression pistons and might as well stroke it to 1600cc while we are there. So with a little extra boost I am hoping for about the same power as a 16V, if not a little bit more:)

And for the $20grand thing. I am hoping to spend little more than half that. Apart from the paint job, I am doing everything myself. Even though I am young and dont have much experiance, I want to learn about it just because I am interested! I think that if you ask enough questions and take enough time with a little common sense you can do anything you want at home! So my only costs are the physical cost of the parts, plus maybe some things we cant do like aluminium welding etc.. Time is an issue (40+ hours per week of uni and 30 hours per week of work = not much spare time) but I will just plug away, working on the car instead of partying on friday and saturday nights and it will eventually happen!;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Welcome to the BB Andrew! Nothing boring in that intro - I reckon you've got plenty going for you: you're young (oh, to be 19 again...), enthusiastic and committed, and you've got both an Alfa daily driver and a X1/9 project car. On the downside, you have a job that requires you to work on Sundays :eek: and you live in South Australia. Still, you can't have everything :D:D

Look forward to some pics and progress on your cars.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
That's a bit of a sweeping statement isn't it?

i always quite liked these MG's:-
Hardly an MG though, just the motorsport front of the mess called British Leyland, hence why the same 6R4 engine eventually made its way into the Jaguar XJ220. The poor thing was first shown with a V12, then came into production with a turbo six. A lot of early depositors for the car quickly asked for their money back when they realised the number of cylinders had just been halved! :D

Anyway, MG did nothing on the 6R4, most of the important development was done by a little mob called Williams F1 Engineering you may have heard of! :)

Ok, SO Off topic now.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Benvenuti 8v16v,

I am a big fan of the X1/9 - sounds like it will be an interesting project, its a terrific car to drive at any specification. I am (slowly) restoring a 128 so i'll be interested in hearing about how you go with the engine, although I wont be going anywhere near that spec.

I saw some footage of Abingdon on TV today - full of water. I hope MGBs can float...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I hope MGBs CAN'T float! :)

We're way off topic here! Apologies to the newby that we hijacked his thread with our pointless banter!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I hope MGBs CAN'T float! :)

We're way off topic here! Apologies to the newby that we hijacked his thread with our pointless banter!
Actually they probably leak about as much as your average 105. The only car I know of that floats and deserves to sink is a Beetle.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
SOME British cars are OK. I could cope with an E-Type roadster, or just about any Aston Martin, especially the DB5, and I've always been partial to the series III XJ Jags, a V12 Sovereign would be a very nice highway cruiser.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SOME British cars are OK. I could cope with an E-Type roadster, or just about any Aston Martin, especially the DB5, and I've always been partial to the series III XJ Jags, a V12 Sovereign would be a very nice highway cruiser.

And pretty much any Lotus. I am seriously in love with early Elans and Elises. And then the Radical SR3.... that supercharged Caterham Clubman..... and old Mini Cooper S's.... even though they are actually reasonably crap I love early Triumph Spitfires..... ok so there are some decent pommy cars then! But anything like a Wolsely or something....

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've always been partial to the series III XJ Jags, a V12 Sovereign would be a very nice highway cruiser.
Just as well they have 2 fuel tanks, otherwise you wouldn't get to cruise very far :p. You don't need a 12 in a jag for highway cruising, especially if you have the last real jag engine (ie. the 4 valve headed AJ6/AJ16 engine) instead of the fossil in the series III...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts