Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The root could be oil from the valve guides which caused the conditions which led to carbon build up and gumming.
Sure, I understand and respect that opinion. I just don't agree with it.
To me, it is physically impossible for that much oil to run down an exhaust guide, flow through a closed exhaust valve, deposit itself on the top of the liner and then drain down the liner all while the engine is off as the pictures show.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
I don't believe we have a valve guide issue as currently the only smoking gun that has been found is the oil level is 1 litre over capacity, and if it was an valve guide issue all cylinders would have an issue.

I know that cylinder number 4 is one of the problem cylinders and I know that these engines lean backwards slightly so my bet is the crankshaft has been getting ever so slightly too close to that sump oil and splashing the cylinder walls excessively, over powering the oil control rings. Hopefully the MEK treatment will clean the oil control rings enough for them to return to operational and the corrected oil level will solve the cause.

[EDIT:] I see that really the rear 3 cylinders are the problem ones with number 4 being by far the worst ... so yeah I still think the oil level is the problem, with the crankshaft stirring things up as msiert enjoys rapid acceleration tests :) [/EDIT]

We will soon find out :)
Pete

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm thinking its a combination of the valves seals and the rings.

Trying to advoid a engine pull and tear down, I just want to see if I can get it cleaned up to pull a passing grade on a leak down and compression test.

On what is causing the majority of the oil?
I do think there is a chance that running the crank 1 quart over filled ALL THE TIME and having a restricted CCV gasket might help the oil make it though the rings easier.

If the 2 cylinder walls keep getting the same amount of oil running down them with 7 quarts of oil in the crank, then I was wrong and I'll be pulling the exhaust springs to replace the seals.

Alfa7, Thanks you for the tool loan offer!!!

If that doesn't do it then it's pull, tear down and rebuild in 2020.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Just saw PSK's reply:

After the recent 130 mile round trip with 7 quarts of oil there was no oil running down # 4 cylinder wall (ZERO) but the # 3 cylinder had oil.

The two cylinders that get oil most of the time in the last few inspections are cylinder #3 and # 4. Cylinder # 4 was the worst by a good distance.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Just saw PSK's reply:

After the recent 130 mile round trip with 7 quarts of oil there was no oil running down # 4 cylinder wall (ZERO) but the # 3 cylinder had oil.

The two cylinders that get oil most of the time in the last few inspections are cylinder #3 and # 4. Cylinder # 4 is the worst by a good distance.
So maybe more MEK required in cylinder #3 to hopefully rejuvenate the oil control ring. #4 sounds like problem solved :)

Pete

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Worked on Cylinder #4

The original leak down test showed a 70% loss in that cylinder and the intake valve was almost all of it.

Over the last week I have putting in a few ounces of MEK in each cylinder and turning the engine a couple times a day which improved my leak down number to a 40% loss.

Yesterday I filled the cylinder completely with MEK.

Did it on the compression stroke with the intake valve wide open so I could have the intake valve head completely submerged is the MEK.

But it was all leaking down to the crank to fast so I switch to B12. This morning most of it was still there.

Suck the remainder of the B12 out and did a leak down test and it improved to a 20% Loss. :grin2:

After the test I ran the piston to TDC and filled the cylinder and intake throttle body with MEK and this time it's staying in there.

Tomorrow morning I will do another leak down test and then move on to cylinder #2.

The following pictures are all #4's intake valve, leak down test numbers and a couple of my setup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Murray,

Off topic, but it's nice to see you still have a trophy from the "Alfas In The Bluegrass" 2011 AROC convention in Lexington.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Hoping the I can improve the 20% loss in cylinder #2 & #4 to 10% to have all 4 cylinders close to each other and get the oil and filter changed by the end of this weekend so I can do Alfa7's recommended 5,000 to 6,000 rpm 5 minute run in 4th before the snow comes Wednesday 12/26.

I'm ready to put the solvents alway!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Engine Cleaning is Completed

I am done, below are my final leak down #'s compared to the original leak down that started this whole clean up effort.

12/22/18 Cold Leak Down Test..........11/27/18 Warm Leak Down Test:

Cylinder #1...........5% Rings.....................9% Rings & Intake
Cylinder #2..........11% Rings...................25% Rings
Cylinder #3............8% Rings...................20% Rings
Cylinder #4...........10% Intake/Rings........70% Rings & Intake

Thank you all for your help, especially Richard (Alfa7) for the posts I followed to help me achieve getting my Alfa back in shape.

The only thing I did different was when the MEK was running through the rings to fast to get an over night soak, I switched the B12 Chemtool to fill the cylinders.

After a night of the B12 filled in the cylinder, the next day the MEK did not drain out so fast and was able to get an overnight soak.

Thank you all again!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,854 Posts
That looks better. Have you driven it yet to tell if there's a difference in running?

And slightly OT, but Jeebus Murray: that brake fluid! I know you like black, but... :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
That looks better. Have you driven it yet to tell if there's a difference in running?

And slightly OT, but Jeebus Murray: that brake fluid! I know you like black, but... :D
Going to drive it tomorrow, snow is coming Tuesday. I wondering how much she will smoke on start up and for how long?

Funny :sneaky2:, the brake fluid is blue in color but it's been at least 4-5 years/4,000 or 5,000 miles since it's been changed so it should be done this winter.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Good luck with the drive. I hope that you dodged the engine rebuild bullet.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts