Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Just a quick question on tie rod ends. I have a 164LS that needs at least one tie rod end.

I have purchased both inners and outers and I'm going to have them installed Wednesday.

Here is the question: They did not come with new rubber boots for the inners. Can the old ones be reused (removed without damage) or should they always be replaced?

Thanks,
-Martin

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Howdy,

Just a quick question on tie rod ends. I have a 164LS that needs at least one tie rod end.

I have purchased both inners and outers and I'm going to have them installed Wednesday.

Here is the question: They did not come with new rubber boots for the inners. Can the old ones be reused (removed without damage) or should they always be replaced?

Thanks,
-Martin
Sure as long as they are good. Inners never come with boots, that would be the steering rack boot kit you would need.

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,126 Posts
Sure as long as they are good. Inners never come with boots, that would be the steering rack boot kit you would need.
Boot Kit for racks with centering spring and large oval boot on right side is AR # 9943835.

Boot kit for non-dampened (no centering spring) is 60760026

Chances are you will need a R/H oval boot as it takes some doing to get centering spring shaft nut removed.

Pretty safe bet to have new boot kit in hand to before you start and if you got two 9945565 L/H inner tie rods which is all most vendors can get mech will have to add a spacer washer Correct R/H one is 9945566. When installing L/H one on right side you should install a washer spacer on inner end to make it flat even with end of threads to hold centering spring bracket tight against rack piston shaft.

I have posted pix of this under my Rosso steering rack repair job showing different inner TRE top one is L/H side (both sides on non-dampened racks) which is usually what vendors stock and bottom ones are true R/H ones for dampened centering spring racks: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/433677-post30.html

Here is more of the story including removing boots and inner TRE: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...osso-rescue-project-steering-rack-update.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts