Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I have done anything to my GTV2000, the usual work and house projects always seem to get in the way.

I purchased my 105 from a chap in Perth ( western Australia) who had purchased it in Stuttgart then brought it back to Perth where it was converted to RHD.

One aspect that was annoying was the need to unlock, open the passenger (left side) door to release the boot (or trunk in US speak). So decided to install a boot release on the right hand side.

While I was visiting the UK this year I went to see the guys at Classic Alfa and was able to purchase a second hand cable release lever and new cable. I then made a template of the hole to be cut from the second hand lever and with little effort using my angle grinder and thin metal cut off disk and files, cut a neat key shaped hole. I made sure it was a touch on the small size so that final filing made it a snug fit.

I ran the cable along the right inner body just like the left side and with my new wire crimping tool, swayed a loop at one end and attached it to the boot lever and also did the same at the other end where it connects to the latch in the boot.

From the picture you will also see that I kept the left hand side boot release lever and cable and drilled a hole at the top of the boot release mechanism and attached the original cable to it.

Now I have the left side boot release as a backup incase my right hand side cable breaks. In fact I have two backups because I had already fitted a short length of Stainless cable to the bottom lever on the boot mechanism and poked it through the rubber grommet on the boot floor and made a small loop in the end so that if my cable broke I could pull the cable which sat just under the rear bumper bar.

Next on the list is an electric aerial to replace the old pull out type.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's a great move!

I also installed one on the drivers side (RHD) when I first bought the car over 30 years ago. For a backup - I ran a looped wire around the mechanism and poked it through the rubber bung in the boot floor and its sits tucked up under the rear valence should I ever need it.

I need to do something for the bonnet, would hate for that one to fail. I have seen
a couple of threads trying to deal with that scenario, Yuk!

Cheers.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It has been a while since I have done anything to my GTV2000, the usual work and house projects always seem to get in the way.

I purchased my 105 from a chap in Perth ( western Australia) who had purchased it in Stuttgart then brought it back to Perth where it was converted to RHD.

One aspect that was annoying was the need to unlock, open the passenger (left side) door to release the boot (or trunk in US speak). So decided to install a boot release on the right hand side.

While I was visiting the UK this year I went to see the guys at Classic Alfa and was able to purchase a second hand cable release lever and new cable. I then made a template of the hole to be cut from the second hand lever and with little effort using my angle grinder and thin metal cut off disk and files, cut a neat key shaped hole. I made sure it was a touch on the small size so that final filing made it a snug fit.

I ran the cable along the right inner body just like the left side and with my new wire crimping tool, swayed a loop at one end and attached it to the boot lever and also did the same at the other end where it connects to the latch in the boot.

From the picture you will also see that I kept the left hand side boot release lever and cable and drilled a hole at the top of the boot release mechanism and attached the original cable to it.

Now I have the left side boot release as a backup incase my right hand side cable breaks. In fact I have two backups because I had already fitted a short length of Stainless cable to the bottom lever on the boot mechanism and poked it through the rubber grommet on the boot floor and made a small loop in the end so that if my cable broke I could pull the cable which sat just under the rear bumper bar.

Next on the list is an electric aerial to replace the old pull out type.

Cheers
Thanks mate now I can add another job to the list Seriously very good idea

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the bonnet, I have fitted a SS cable to the latch mechanism in the engine bay and ran the cable through to the left wheel arch where I drilled a 2mm hole, fed the wire through, made a loop with a crimp.

The small gap between the wire and hole was sealed with a bead of silicone sealer which also stuck the loop end of the cable to the top underside of the wheel well so that it did not flop around. I sprayed it all with some bitumen sealer to hide it and be less of a mud trap. If you needed to use it then it would not take long to peel off the silicone from the loop part of the cable and pull.

Its nice to know that when the ..... hits the fan, there is an easy solution.

Regards Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts