Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent a bit of time trying different boot seals, and in the end found out that almost all of them worked but water was actually coming in from the rear light units.

Though it may be useful to write this out separately so its easier for people to search.

If you have the original reflector type then take it off and check the back for rust as it will be a clear sign that water is getting in. I took mine off, scrubbed the back with an steel brush and then used rust converter. When refitting I used some small O-rings on the two bolts in the inside.

There were a couple of cracks caused by the bulging/rusting reflector, they were tiny but let in a decent amount of water when tested. I used epoxy on the inside and some thin CA on the outside, they are now water tight.

I've bought some marine grade SS M4 machine screws and fitted them with an O-ring.

Unit is now water tight, only variable is the fitting between the seal, body, and light unit. I added a thin film of black high temp silicone to the gasket/body side and it all holds to a jet wash.

Might be overkill, but it may also be useful to other.

Andrew.

EDIT: The black silicone is really useful when fitting the lights with the gasket, I put a tiny amount in crucial places so that it sticks to the lens. Use only a tiny amount so you can still easily remove it to change bulbs.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Yep, pretty common. A GTV that has lived any length of time probably has a poor fit on all these rubber/steel interfaces especially if hit and has had body work. Fumes can get in around the gas tank ledge too, if not sealed, and through the spare tire well's openings.
Andrew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts