Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the earlier boot covers fit the S4 cars? I was talking to someone who has a nice boot cover from a 1986 Spider Veloce and I was wondering if it would work on my 1991 Spider Veloce? Anyone know what years had boot covers that would also work on the S4 cars?

·
Banned
129 Posts
Yes. The boot covers vary in size and features, but the bodies are all the same, and the covers are largely interchangeable. Only exception I can think of would be that a cover from an '88 Veloce wouldn't have the proper seat belt openings, since the '88 cars had those funky motorized belts that went over the inner (rather than outer) shoulders of the driver and passenger.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The earlier boot covers will fit the series 4 with no problems. These have clips that attach around the stainless steel channel that surrounds the back of the car, so there is nothing to add. In fact, any cover from 1971 on will fit a Spider all the way through 1994.

The larger covers that were introduced with the Quads in 1986 (and carried over for the series 4 cars) do require that the Spider be fitted with the two small posts on the chrome strips in front of the trunk. Nonetheless, any older Spider can also be retrofitted with the small posts and made to take the larger boot.

Best regards,

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've noticed that with my 86 Quad cover, there is a difference in mine and my neighbors S4. My cover is black w/ red stiching and has a zipper down the center of it to seal off the rear shelf compartment.

The OEM one my neighbor has attaches the same way as mine but it substantially leaves the rear shelf exposed. I actually like it better that way as the sound from the rear speakers is not muffled.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I've noticed that with my 86 Quad cover, there is a difference in mine and my neighbors S4. My cover is black w/ red stiching and has a zipper down the center of it to seal off the rear shelf compartment.

The OEM one my neighbor has attaches the same way as mine but it substantially leaves the rear shelf exposed. I actually like it better that way as the sound from the rear speakers is not muffled.

Jeff
Like you said, both are OEM, but they are two different styles. The one your neighbor has - smaller than yours - is the traditional boot cover that has always been offered by Alfa. Starting with the series 2, Spiders share the same body, and any of these smaller boot covers from 1971 on will fit all later cars. Your larger boot cover was introduced in 1986, as a Quad exclusive. Both covers have been available since then, but the larger cover only came standard for the Quad (only the OEM Quad editions have red stitching to go with the Quad interior theme) and the later series 4 Veloces.

Best regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts