Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got myself a new puzzle for the weekend.

When I got my car back, the fuel door wouldn't pop open. I pressed the button, nothing. So, I had to open the boot, peel the liner, pull the catch, dust my clothes off, fill the tank. Not convenient.

Anyway, I expected the issue to be either a relay, a fuse or the solenoid. I already had fuses, so I bought a standard Bosch relay, at least for spare parts... Plugged the new relay in, nothing. Checked the wires on the relay blocks on the right of the boot (one is for the boot release solenoid, one for the fuel door) and the red wire on the white block had it's terminal broken, so I put a new one in.

After a while, I found out I could only open the fuel door if I pressed the boot release and fuel door buttons at the same time!

A bit more fiddling to try and understand how it happened and there was this little spark when a wire touched another. Heard a fuse popping but I can't find it. The F3 fuse is OK, the fuel door button tested OK for continuity and still, nothing happens as I press either button. That's right, no electric boot release or electric fuel door release!

Both solenoids are in working condition and do work if I put a disassembled relay on the block and close the contacts manually. The LED on the pannel shines when I press the boot release button and I did try taking the key out of the ignition. Still no luck and I'm running out of ideas.

Is there any other fuse I've missed?

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
G4 7.5A free fuse holder for fuel door relay I53 is located under dash to right/forward of driver's knee area on LHD models. sort of to left of a/c panel and above radio area.

Lower fuse panel door and look in where there are about 6 relays and a couple free fuse holders.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G4 7.5A free fuse holder for fuel door relay I53 is located under dash to right/forward of driver's knee area on LHD models. sort of to left of a/c panel and above radio area.

Lower fuse panel door and look in where there are about 6 relays and a couple free fuse holders.
G4? Wasn't it supposed to be F3? I just can't find any free fuse holder around the G1 or G2 fuse boxes... Maybe they hadn't put the G4 fuse in the first series? Or is it hidden behind some screwed panel?

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
G4? Wasn't it supposed to be F3? I just can't find any free fuse holder around the G1 or G2 fuse boxes... Maybe they hadn't put the G4 fuse in the first series? Or is it hidden behind some screwed panel?
Reread what I said G4 is a free fuse holder in center console area not in G1 or G2 fuse boxes near door. It controls power to energize I53 relay and F3 in G2 supplies the juice to gas filler door solenoid through the relay once relay I53 is energized by G4 fuse.

G4 will be a one fuse holder attached to side of one of the 5 or 6 relay holders in center console by driver's knee area inside fuse panel door area behind and above radio. Other free fuse in there is for power seats.

·
Premium Member
16,442 Posts
Every time I leave the house for an extended vacation of several weeks or more, I remove one of those fuses ahead of the driver's right knee to shut off the power to the radio, thus preventing the radio from slowly draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Assuming you find/replace the blown fuse, I think you should next try swapping the climate control panel for a spare. I have one here whose circuit does not ground the boot release relay properly. I pressed the button and the solenoid wouldn't pop the boot - until about 10 minutes later, when I was nowhere nearby. Swapped the climate control panel and problem solved. Spare had broken LCD (blackened) so I was able to make one good unit out of two, also using the buttons having least-worn paint.

-Alex

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G4 will be a one fuse holder attached to side of one of the 5 or 6 relay holders in center console by driver's knee area inside fuse panel door area behind and above radio. Other free fuse in there is for power seats.
Got it! Found the 7.5A fuse right next to one of the relays, sure enough, it was blown. Now I've got power to the boot release again but the fuel door release won't work.

Being 2AM and 0.5ºc outside, I think I'll leave the rest for tomorrow. At least I don't have to use the key to open the boot. Still, what could be wrong there?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, why is this a gremlin?

Found and replaced the fuse, but now the fuel door only opens when the boot release is being pressed. In other words, the fuel door circuit only closes when the boot release is already closed.

I got myself a cardisc (should have found one ages ago) and I'm studying the schematics trying to find a solution.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FIXED!

The relay I had on the boot release circuit had the wrong pinout: it should have pin 87A as normally closed. As both 87 and 87A were normally open, the fuel door release circuit would only be powered if the boot release was on.

Took me a while to find out the single spare relay I had with 87A normally closed. Once I plugged it in, all went back to normal.

Thanks for all the kind help once again.

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
I figured that was the problem and was going to suggest maybe you put wrong relay in place as I remember you had said you put in a new relay.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured that was the problem and was going to suggest maybe you put wrong relay in place as I remember you had said you put in a new relay.
The thing here was that until I got the cardisc I had to figure how it all worked together. The old relay didn't had the schematic in it and when I wanted to test the possibility of having the wrong relay there, I didn't remember where I'd put the old one.

Then I didn't know about fuse G4 and wouldn't had found it so soon if it wasn't for you. Once I cleared that issue, it became a lot clearer what went wrong. Pin 86 on relay I53 wasn't getting +12V because pin 87A was open when it should be closed.

One solution to the relay issue would have been bridging pin 30 to 87A on relay I53 so that I52 was getting +12V even when the fuel door release was being pressed and I was just about to do that when I stumbled on a relay that had 87A normally closed.

Thanks again for all the help, you're all amazing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts