Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple Days ago, like usually, I went to work with my Alfa, she was acting "funny" but that could be caused by my alternator, or low fuel level (that is what i thought) after I parked and went to work, somebody pointed that it may rain so I could close the top... As soon as I approached my little Alfa i`ve noticed that something is not right... smell of the antifreeze )does not smell like a victory... especially not in the morning) and a wet spot underneath the car...
but no visible leak. Car was not overheating or anything like that...
so I popped the hood and I`ve seen whats on picture... still no visible leak...
(I topped off radiator with water and drove home, without surprises)
Today, is a Witch Hunt day for me, and I`ll try to find the cause of that leak without setting my car on fire.
(and yeah some poop hit the fan, that is the source of that stain on hood... but where it come from??)

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh water pump???
that does not sound good (cheap), i was counting more for a bad rad hose :((((
how to check water pump?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
either pressure the collant system, or run car up to temp and check for leakage behind the water pump pulley. check hoses in front of the engine, may be spraying coolant onto fan.
cliff

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Water pumps usually have a "weep" hole in their bottom that when leaks could leak on the lower hose and give the appearance that it's the hose that leaks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diagnose: coolant pump...
it seeps from the pulley...

anyone want to buy my Alfa?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Water pumps are not expensive at all - for example IAP has them for less than $83, plus shipping...

Best regards,

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah im just overwhelmed by amount of work i have to put in my alfa, and my wife do not helps...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw what is the difference between
IAP part no. 2985
and 2665 (except $10) ?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The less expensive one says that it is for a European version... Also note that the connections are different between the two pictures.

I don't know in what kind of condition your car is, but once a Spider is properly sorted, they don't require much work at all to maintain...

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
yeah im just overwhelmed by amount of work i have to put in my alfa, and my wife does not help...
:(That's too bad. My wife actually enjoys working on the Alfa:)

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:(That's too bad. My wife actually enjoys working on the Alfa:)
lucky one....
my wife knits ;)

as far as condition of my alfa, well, some body work reqd, new paint is a must,
and a new top... plus maybe new (different) alternator since prior to last happening I had twice (like day before) DOA while changing gears... but alfa started right after i turned the key, so it may be some ground somewhere....
ehhh....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maybe the water leak is affecting your distributor. How old is your distributor cap? Leaky cap gaslets with old weak springs can allow bursts of coolant to escapr when warmed up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm in too much of a hurry, sorry. Leaky cap GASKETS and also, leaks can affect your alternator.

Shouldn't try to type at 135 MPH.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
distro cap is maybye 8mts old (replaced with rotor and wires and plugs and coil and vacuum hoses and front part of wiring harness and tacho... ;P)
still so much stuff to do... :(

and how hard is to replace crank pulley? (anyone has spare one maybe?)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got pump today (That was Quick!!), too bad i have to go to work :(
I`ll replace it during the weekend...

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
You can do a search on the BB for information on changing the water pump. I used a impact gun to remove the pulley allowing access to the water pump. I found it easer than double nutting the studs.

2 beer...is there a question here?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts