Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bypassing the heater core, so I just need to connect the hoses properly. What's the best way to do this with the three small hose connectors I have.... One at the back, one of the water pump, and one from the intake manifold. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi jimbauma,

Don't connect the connector at the back side of the engine, that 's a breather for the crankcase gases.
Why not making it original in the first place?
The second connector, at the top of the inlet manifold, normally sends the hot water to the heater. There it passes the radiator of the heater and leaves the heat in the form of hot air behind . Then the 'colder' water turns back to the waterpump.
Maybe you could just connect the two other connectors. that's how I see it, can someone else confirm that ?
Don't forget that when bypassing, you loose in fact a 'potential' part of the total cooling system of your car.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thierry. I'll get it connected properly eventually, but for initial assembly and testing I don't want to deal with stuff under the dash.

Where would the breather connect to in a stock configuration? This car has a single weber carb... not stock, and I don't see anyplace for the others be of the jose.

Jim

Hi jimbauma,

Don't connect the connector at the back side of the engine, that 's a breather for the crankcase gases.
Why not making it original in the first place?
The second connector, at the top of the inlet manifold, normally sends the hot water to the heater. There it passes the radiator of the heater and leaves the heat in the form of hot air behind . Then the 'colder' water turns back to the waterpump.
Maybe you could just connect the two other connectors. that's how I see it, can someone else confirm that ?
Don't forget that when bypassing, you loose in fact a 'potential' part of the total cooling system of your car.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Jim,

That is a nice first series engine you have there.
Actually there is just a rubber tube, attached to the breather pipe and led downwards until it is under the car.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thierry,
Since that factory picture is of a 750 Veloce, that would have been the aluminum tube breather variety, would it not?

Like Jim’s, mine is a Normale, so I have been researching which type I needed as well. As I understand it, the tunnel case Normales got the long, thick rubber hose that ran to back of the transmission then dropped down, the aluminum Veloce pipes snap-attached & held with a screw at the engine, and a clamp at the rear position to hold it in place. Is that correct?

At some point (split case trans? earlier?) they introduced the shorter steel pipe breathers for the Normales...until late ‘61, like mine, when the thick rubber hoses for the 101s came into play for both Veloces and Normales, is that correct?

In your very thorough Alfa parts & procedures literature updates, what year did the small breather get attached at the end of those? Only the 1600s? I didn’t get any metal pipe breathers for mine, or a breather-type can in my parts boxes from the previous owner. Just rubber. Also, like Jim, I was wondering where exactly that lower hose hold-down clamp gets attached. One of the bell housing studs?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Attached picture shows variations. For 750 Veloce (tunnel case) there is a short rubber hose between part attached to the engine and the metal pipe. The pipe is held at the gearbox by the clamp shown in 3rd photo.
750  101 Breather pipes anodated for BB.jpg
750  101 Breather pipes anodated for BB.jpg
Breather pipe Veloce tunnel case only v2.jpg
Breather Bracket Composit part 1 copy.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts