Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 Sprint GT Veloce came with a Bonaldi brake booster. After some forum research, I learned the rebuild kit has a pretty low success rate because of the wear on the tip of the rod that runs the length of the unit. Evidently it's a hardened rod and mine is showing signs of wear.

Of course, I found this out after getting pieces of the booster diaphragm housing cadmium plated. From my photos, does my booster look to be rebuildable, or should I use it as a core towards one that's already rebuilt? Thanks in advance.

Is there any way to test these units without putting them on a car?

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just sent both of mine to Power Brake exchange in CA to be rebuilt. Talking with them on the phone, they seemed very knowledgeable and comfortable rebuilding these, including plating.

I was quoted around $500 to have both rebuilt. They have a year warranty and stand by their work if something happens after that....

I haven't gotten them back yet, but will report when I do.

Also, talking with Daron at Vintage Customs, he suggested it was smart to send them out for a professional rebuild vs going for a new unit or two.

Not sure if that helps or not!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
And surely, a rod can be re-tempered/hardened, or a newly machined replacement hardened too? Isn't that high school metal shop 101?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If that is the Power Brake in Orange, Ca. ......

They do the rebuilds for APC and they work well !

·
Registered
557 Posts
I called and sent it to the one in San Jose, didn't know there was one in Orange! That would've been closer! Ah well. Same state!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The one in Orange did the booster on my Super and it still works great after a couple years ! They use the Alfa rebuild kit, but get a valve not in the Alfa kit from a Mini Cooper booster !

I have them rebuild my calipers and master cyl. also !

·
Registered
557 Posts
Seems like that's the same company as I sent mine to, just a different location.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reference to Power Brake Exchange. They have shops in Southern California and San Jose. The San Jose shop has the most experience with Italian cars and had rebuild kits in stock for Bonaldi.

Prices are better than buying a new Bosch unit and you get a small discount if you have them rebuild the master cylinder as well. They rebuild the units and hydraulically test the units. I'm hoping to get my bits back sometime next week.

·
Registered
855 Posts
just priced some new ones at classicalfa, they seem to have 2 types

2 units (prob manufactured in far east): $675 shipped to 90815

2 units (think bosch) $835 shipped

Tom states has had minimal problems with either choice...I might get 2 new of the cheaper units

1 - 10 of 10 Posts