Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I had the bolts sorted and sent off to be blackend..All good...but you get them back in one big bucket....Not sorted : )

So, I thought I would start a thread and see if you guys could help me as I go along..I need to figure out the bolts for my steering box first.. the parts book just says 8mm is it full thread or partial thread??? are they LOBO?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Oh boy, you have quite the sorting job ahead of you. Steering box bolts were probably German. Mine say "KAMAX." Just like a Porsche, and I know how the folks here enjoy the comparison.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
One more point, which probably does not apply to your car. I have dismantled two 1955 Sprints and found many bolts that I take to be original have no markings whatsoever. These included the mounting bolts for the steering box and for the idler arm box.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Somewhere on this site, or the yahoo 750-101 group I found and downloaded this outstanding PDF:

"750 Sprint Veloce --- Fasteners --- Courtesy of Carl R. Davis"

It's a compendium of all the fasteners found on that car, and may be helpful to you. Kudos to Mr. Davis for all the great research and writing he does for our benefit. If you cannot find it I'd be glad to upload it to you, if possible.

Best,

Tony

PS, where did you have the blackening done, and what process was used?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I can look at my 101 ZF steering box, but I do not think that the steering box used Lobo label bolts. The steering box was made in West Germany and not in Italy. The only problem I have is that the car is in San Diego for interior restoration. I will ask my friend who has the same car if there are any identification on the ZF steering box bolts. I know that the steering box and idler arm mounting bolts had Lobo markings and also include bolt strength.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Correction, they're KARO, not KAMAX. Such are the foibles of memory. Also, I checked a spare box that I have on hand, and found VERBUS bolts in that one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great, I do have the Karo or Kamax bots and some 8mm without markings...I'm sure some guys might be doing an eye roll on this thread...but I have the bolts so they need to go in the right place!

Thanks....more bolt questions to come!
Ciao!

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Hud, My opinions are free.....eye rolls no.... tears yes....Now we gotta get humpty dumpty back together.

Opinion, You are pretty much going to have to work backwards. Starting with the parts book, TAV 1. After you identify a fastener, dimensionally, you will have to go to the index and find what other TAV's have that fastener and how many of each. Since you don't know the part number, Carl's index won't help.

I don't see any other way. Once you have id'ed them. I would loose fit them to the component as you go otherwise bagging and marking them will create another quagmire to wade into. Good luck

A few are unmarked, like the filter regulator but you will probably figure that out by process of elimination. Good luck.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Uncle... I have a pretty good idea on most..just some of those weird bolts,,,, and I will be posting them soon... Lucky I have the sprint to compare to,,,,but its a later car 62-63....

Todd

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Todd
Simply a suggestion ..
If you do take the time to ID the fasteners with their part numbers or position of usage ... it will behoove future generations of Alfisti if you documented this data (and it will make a great sticky !!).

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Thanks Uncle... I have a pretty good idea on most..just some of those weird bolts,,,, and I will be posting them soon... Lucky I have the sprint to compare to,,,,but its a later car 62-63....

Todd
This cataloging project would be something to keep our "detainees" in Guantanamo busy for a very long time. uncle

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Local shop called Black Oxide.. Cost was like $75 bucks.. As much stuff as I could bring them. They did a super job and the best as I can tell nothing missing.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
sorting

One way I use in motorcycle restoration and when I restored my Giulietta, was to combine all similar thread, size, and length parts together in separate containers. Place misc strange stuff in larger flat containers so you can see what you have. See attached photos of a 1974 Norton Commando I am currently restoring for a customer. Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts