Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of a head gasket and radiator replacement and I figured I would change the A/C and alternator belts while I had everything open. The manual says there are 4 bolts on the A/C pulley that need to be removed in order to remove the belt. Can someone please give me the location of the bolts? Here is a picture of the front of my A/C pulley. Everything that might be a bolt seems to be in groups of threes.

Also, what kind of bolt heads and I looking for? Hex head, socket head, other?

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hopefully someone more familiar with your 87 Quad will chime in (I have a 91), but the picture looks to be the end of the A/C clutch assembly. I doubt these are the bolts you are looking for. More likely would be some kind of mounting bolt(s) on the main body of the A/C compressor or possibly on the alternator. On my 91 there is an adjustment for belt tensioning/loosening on the alternator which will allow the alternator to pivot on the lower mounting bolt either towards or away from the engine.

Tried looking thru some older posts but did not find anything other than there seems to be some difficulty in finding a belt that is the correct size.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Kim,
The bolts that the manual is referring to are on the crank pulley. They are allen set screw type. There are four of them. once you remove them the crank pulley splits in half and you can easily replace the belt. There will be shims either on the front of the pulley or between halves. These are for adjusting the tension on the belt [they change the "ride height" of the belt in the v groove].

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kim,
The bolts that the manual is referring to are on the crank pulley. They are allen set screw type. There are four of them. once you remove them the crank pulley splits in half and you can easily replace the belt. There will be shims either on the front of the pulley or between halves. These are for adjusting the tension on the belt [they change the "ride height" of the belt in the v groove].
Thanks SpiderHolly. I'm a software engineer, so the terminology is tripping me up. But I'm learning alot.

Is the crankshaft pulley what the belt goes around? If so, do the bolts run toward the shaft of the compressor behind the crank pulley half that holds the belt?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry, i dont have a picture but you need to look at the other end of the belt from the one you photographed. Your photo shows the a/c compressor pulley. follow the belt downwards and towards the lower front of the engine. the belt will wrap around a pulley there. That is the pulley where the 4 bolts are located; they are difficult or impossible to see with the radiator in place without a small inspection mirror. They are bolted in from the front to the rear [i.e. the bolt heads are nearest to the radiator].

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your help.

I'm such an idiot. I was trying to figure this out at 5 AM this morning and confused the crankshaft pulley with the compressor pulley. I have the service manual with this picture, but got confused nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This has to be the hardest drive belt adjustment system ever devised. It is a new LOW, even for Alfa. It is something devised by an 8 year old. A 9 year old would have done better.

Robert

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
This has to be the hardest drive belt adjustment system ever devised. It is a new LOW, even for Alfa. It is something devised by an 8 year old. A 9 year old would have done better.

Robert
Dang, Robert, I agree with you 100%. Every time I think of how alfa did this ac belt, the absolute dumbest auto engineering I ever saw. AND, lets say the belt doesnt even get that old, and one wants to tighten it a tad- gotta remove the radiator just to remove a shim or 2. ! Sheesh........

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
What size belt for AC Compressor?

The AC belt was missing from my '88 Quad when I bought it two months ago. I have been sorting out a lot of more important issues on the car since then, but I'm getting close to the point when I will be ready to work on the AC. Anyone know what size of belt I need to purchase and install between the crankshaft pulley and the AC Compressor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts