Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The body shop finished up the painting and for those interested, here are some pics:

body work done:

outer sills replaced, L & R
all flat floor areas replaced, rear seat bottom steel replaced
spare tire well replaced
lower rear (below trunk opening) valence replaced

trunk flat areas patched
fender patched just forward of lower door edges l side

trunk lid & front nose: de-bondo-ized, dents pulled

paint: base coat/clear coat in medium grigio metallic

Attachments

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Beautiful job and a terrific color. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics during assembly. Thanks for posting these.

George

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
looks great! Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Outstanding color choice (we discussed the color code in the past didn't we???). My 2000 Spider is just gorgeous in that color. It looks a little bland as a rolling chassis, but as you add the chrome it will stand out beautifully. I need to get back on assembling my car, but the baby and a house move have slowed things down to a standstill.

The good news is that the new house has a 600 sq ft workshop with a/c and a bathroom...

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All: thanks for the positive comments

Arno: the color is a replication of what i think is medium grigio; the paint shop couldn't get PPG to cough up a formula for ar728 so i took a shot at the color from color swatches.

Now the reassembly work falls on my shoulders and subject to my schedule, so we'll see how strong my work ethic is

David

·
Registered
435 Posts
DAVID, IT LOOKS LIKE AR 716 WHICH IS GRIGIO GRAFITTE. MY OWN CAR SHOULD BE DON IN 2WEEKS OR SO SO I WILL SEND IN SOME PICS WHEN IT COMES OUT OF THE SHOP. I HAVE SOME BEAUTIFUL DARK RED INTERIOR( REALLY A CRANBERRY FROM RE-ORIGINAL)PIECES AND GREY CARPETING. iI AGREE WITH ARNO ONCE YOU INSTALL THE CHROME THE CAR WILL LOOK AWSOME.
MIKE

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike; as you know, a few of the parts on this car will have come from your
hands....

I think the color may be lighter than grafite; photos and monitors are notoriously inaccurate. anyway, it is also getting a red interior, but the red matches the original regular red (I've stripped off the tan "vinyl dye" from the door panels applied by PO to determine oem). I haven't had much rechromed so I think your car is going to be outstanding in comparison.

Which brings me to the ever-increasing desire to see an assembly of pics of all 2600's in the US. I guess the "old" UK based 2600 is now just a Yahoo group and am I right in assuming that there is no actual registry of current ownership, chassis & pictorial info?

Has anyone given a thought to establishing at least a US registry for 2600's with photos & contact info? Gosh, there should be something to organize the relatively small fraternity of owners of 2600 survivors around.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should also note for those considering a repaint over red, there is an intermediate sealer that is applied just prior to the basecoat to prevent "bleed-through" of the red. My understanding is that this also serves as a final "leveling" of the surface to enable a smoother basecoat.

I was advised against going to bare metal on the entire car since most of the paint was sound and stripping would involve exposing all the little oem flaws that would require being dealt with.

Perhaps those of you who have more experience in the paint dept might comment about the current "state of the art" in repainting?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I strongly second your idea of a 2600 registry, either U.S. or international. I'm curious how many are still on the road, where they are, and who's driving them. I've got a silver '64 2600 spider, which - if the Alfa Gods smile on me - will be back on the road once I find a couple of steering gear bearings.

As for paint expertise, I have none to offer, but I'm impressed with how your car looks (especially after seeing your latest "tin worm" postings). Nice color choice. Look forward to seeing more photos as your restoration unfolds.
All the best,
Joe

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I HAVE SOME BEAUTIFUL DARK RED INTERIOR( REALLY A CRANBERRY FROM RE-ORIGINAL)PIECES AND GREY CARPETING. MIKE

Mike, could you post some pictures of your interior please. I've been toying with the idea of changing my interior to red, and your color sounds very attractive. What does the interior kit from RE include?

Thanks

Henry

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I strongly second your idea of a 2600 registry, either U.S. or international. I'm curious how many are still on the road, where they are, and who's driving them. I've got a silver '64 2600 spider, which - if the Alfa Gods smile on me - will be back on the road once I find a couple of steering gear bearings.

As for paint expertise, I have none to offer, but I'm impressed with how your car looks (especially after seeing your latest "tin worm" postings). Nice color choice. Look forward to seeing more photos as your restoration unfolds.
All the best,
Joe
There IS an international 102 and 106 registery, run by Eric Harrison in England. Here is the website: http://www.alfa2600.co.uk/

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The body shop finished up the painting and for those interested, here are some pics:

:cool: Body panels look (and I'm sure they are:)) straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my understanding is that this fellow in the UK hasn't the time to maintain the registry....the current page is the first update since 2006 and he notes that he hasn't really done anything...

also, there is no available list per se on his website that I can find. does anyone know "where " an actual list of chassis, location/ownership can be found?????

that's what I think we're looking for on a current ownership basis.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mike, could you post some pictures of your interior please. I've been toying with the idea of changing my interior to red, and your color sounds very attractive. What does the interior kit from RE include?

Thanks

Henry
HERE IS THE DOOR PANEL AND THE TOP TRIM WHICH GOES OVER IT ,THE REST IS AT THE UPHOLSTERY SHOP WAITING FOR THE CAR I WISH I COULD SHOW YOU THE SEATS,THE WORMANSHIP IS TREMENDOUS. I GOT THESE FROM MATT AT REORIGINALS I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGHT WE ALL SPEND HUGE SUMS OF MONEY PUTTING THESE CARS BACK TOGETHER, ITS WORTH A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS TO GET TTHE RIGHT "STUFF" ,I WILL PPOST SOME PHOTOS AS SOON THE CAR RETURNS FROM THE BODY SHOP .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts