Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys - anyone making replacement rocker panels, specifically for the area right in front of the rear wheel? I checked International and Centerline and Wolf.

Would a Giulia or GTV have a similar profile panel that could be adapted - remember I'm a newbie before you slap me upside my head.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I sent some rusty rockers to wolf a few years ago to use as patterns. I thought that they made some for alfabb member gprocket but maybe they didn't work out. Giulia Super rockers are very similar but come up a few inches shy. I can't remember if it was on the front or back. Berlinas are pretty slab-sided so a local guy should be able to fabricate the small area you're refering to.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill.

I was doing some searching on this when you replied, and someone suggested to use ReOriginals. On Re-Originals, Inc. - Restoration Headquarters - Body Parts they say "Rocker panel, left side, use Giulia Super outer rocker adding a 10 cm portion to make the overall length correct".

So it looks like, per your comment, the Giulia shape is correct. I "only" need about two inches of the rear most metal, so this is encouraging.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Wolf Steel made a set of full length rockers for me from the patterns that Bill S. sent them. Truth is so far I can only say that they fit nicely in the trunk of the poor Berlina. Ask Allen at Wolf - he should be able recreate them.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bringing this thread back alive, been a while since I was able to focus on the Berlina but since I posted this I've developed a good working relationship with local body shop that does very nice work.

Since "only" the area indicated needs repair buying the full rocker is overkill, not to mention expensive.

The jack post is solid, it is just the outer section (where I imaging the wheel throws dirt, which then gets wet etc...)

Can anyone think of a similar profile off the shelf patch panel that would match this area? For example, this is from Wolf from a GTV and isn't right but you get the idea;

Or for the Gulia sedan from re-originals;

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Has anyone done lower front windshield corners?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi guys - anyone making replacement rocker panels, specifically for the area right in front of the rear wheel? I checked International and Centerline and Wolf.

Would a Giulia or GTV have a similar profile panel that could be adapted - remember I'm a newbie before you slap me upside my head.

Thanks!
I have a friend who bought body panels for his Berlina and decided to scrap the car ..If you have any interest send me an email and I will pass along his contact number..he is located on Long Island, NY

·
Premium Member
22,181 Posts
Kelly (patpend2000 maybe?), on this forum, is doing the windshield corners from scratch, not having been able to find a suitable donor car to cut pieces from. Search and you'll find it here. Big job, but he's pushing ahead.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,636 Posts
Kelly also tried Super rocker panels with no luck, he's having them made locally.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Ian, bummer but good to know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So far I have done both windshield pieces, these were not easy. Now onto the rockers. I had some panels made, however what I didn't realize is that the sill is tapered so I need to massage the rocker panels that I had made.

I did buy a super rocker panel out of Europe as everyone told me they would work. However, it too is straight in the sills and it's also something like 20 gauge steel that I can bend with my fingers.

you can see my windshield progress in my rust thread.

How bad is you WS area? I have a hammer template for the driver's side but not the passenger side.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
rockers

i have a set of NOS 1750/2000 berlina rockers that i thought about taking to a sheet metal shop to have duplicated

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a set of NOS 1750/2000 berlina rockers that i thought about taking to a sheet metal shop to have duplicated
Good morning. I'll gladly share costs here. Anyone else here have a similar need?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
it will be a while. i've been working in los angeles the last 2 months and, except for flying home for the holidays, won't be back home till end of february. knowing how rare these are, i hate the thought of using them on mine without attempting to duplicate them. this set still has the alfa part number on them, never touched

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries.

I have a potential back up. I keep some cars out at the Chino airport and the guy next to me used to build aircraft for a living and is good with sheet metal. If all else fails I can try to ask him to give this a shot or teach me.

Like I said, definitely a plan B. Getting the front/rear compound curves right isn't going to happen but the main section could be done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts