Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Body Conversion S3 to S1

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  PSk 
#1 ·
Good day to all . I have a lot of body parts for Alfa S1 and body for S3,

Idea was to make conversion from S3 to S1,
I asked few times on this forum however I did not get any reply of how it can be done.

I started with conversion few days ago and I will add some photos if somebody is interested to do the same as soft top will be different and some other parts.

S3 body is in bad shape and it is not worth saving it

Please see attached

Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
What's old is new, what's new is old!
I admire your endeavor! And your oil pit in the garage floor. As an electrician, I wired many of those but never one for myself (a hint of envy).
Keep up the good work and let us know how the project is going.
Thanks,
Greg

#9 ·
I think i have to watch this. Where did you find the front and rear s1 parts. And are you doing the welding ?
Regards John

#10 ·
I agree.. that’s a great endeavour
Keep up the pictures!

Looks like you are keeping the S3 windscreen surround etc., with its better/faster looking rake. How are you going to power it; Nord 4cyl, v6.. Tesla rear end? (I like this idea best) ;)

#11 ·
I Purchased two duettos 1967 and 1969. When I purchase second one I purchased front part with it and two trunk leads as well as two rear quarter panels Than I purchased whole rear end with trunk lead in Germany . S3 was badly damaged from behind and I was thinking why not . S3 windshield S3 soft top mechanics and panels from S1. I have 4 bumper sets and few grills as well as stops lights . Everything is there . I was thinking original engine or 1750 with alfa 75 twin spark head however I can have many options for sure . I am not doing welding as I have person in my country that will do all this for fair amount of money and I will not see any difference when finished except behind soft top S1 will have longer piece before trunk lead starts .

#12 ·
Great idea with the damaged s3 and s1 grafting and your body man looks like he can make it look like it's meant to be.

#13 ·
Probably the hardest part fitting trunk lead and major noticeable difference near soft top and windshield is this part behind soft top and before trunk lead . It will be half of the size of the original .
Car will get more space behind front seats .

Attachments

#14 ·
Extra space

How much space are you attempting to gain behind the seats? Will it be substantial or just minor? I'm very curious to see the final works. This is admirable of you to undertake such a project. Keep the pictures a rollin'! NICE

#16 · (Edited)
I thought the rear shelf tub and the rear cowling were all the same from S2 on...not so? If you want to make it into a Duetto (S1), than that's a different story.

And HOW, oh how do you align an entire rear clip and hold it perfect while you weld?? Very interesting.

<EDIT> ......Went back to read first post. Ohh, you DO have Duetto shell pieces, VERY interesting project. In that case, yes, the rear shelf body opening and cowling area is completely different. I think a Duetto has a slight crown to the rear cowling, where an S2 is nearly flat. The top frame is different, the mounting is different, the door glass and windshield slope is different, the inner arches are different - it's a whole different potato!

#17 ·
Some pics I have, if these are any help.....

That center cowling panel behind the tub is not labeled in either of these parts diagrams, which makes me think no one has them...or, they never fail or get bent.
Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Personal protective equipment Clip art

Auto part Automotive exterior Line art Automotive lighting Automotive design

The trunk floor piece
Font

How the guts fit together
Vehicle Car Classic Classic car Roadster

This is the rear cowling, or "hinge panel" on the S2 body. Completely different animal.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Bumper part Spoiler

#23 ·
Thank you Vivace .

I hope that car will look nice on the end . With so many panels in storage I am happy to try something different . I will try to fit Twin Spark head on the 1600cc old block. So it will be combination of old and new .

I think that S3 windshield and Soft top will look good on Duetto .

Only thing that I can not add it hard top hooks .

I can live with out them

I hoe in a month car will be done .

Thank you all for following .

#26 ·
Take a look at my garage - the previous owner did a full on conversion from a '86 Quad to a S1 (front end). For the rear, he converted the rear tail lights to a Giulietta SS... Full steel work and an absolutely solid, very clean job.

#28 ·
I have a lot of parts rear panels as well as back and front of the car and person that is doing welding job is making decision what will be the easiest option for him . Only part that I was looking for was one with licence plate and it was hard for me to find it that is why he used whole rear end .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.