Alfa Romeo Forums banner

581 - 600 of 611 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #581 (Edited)
I purchased a Cadwell kit so that I can replate a bunch of hardware. I hate sending stuff out. Second only to paint “jail”.

And I’m still trying to find someone reliable for upholstery. My former go to guy did two fantastic jobs and then murdered my GTV6 front seats. I might have to buy a sewing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
There’s a guy I like not far over the CA line toward Reno, just off 80. Pulled my patoot outta the fire on the last 2000 I did, and just did the same for a neighbor on his 2600.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
Also, I’ve got a new unused plating kit I’ll never use. Coulda delivered it

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
Thanks, Don. I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
Woohoo!!!!

Just notified by UPS that I have a package coming from Ingram Enterprises. I'm stupidly excited.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
7+ months ago.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
I was contemplating what I have and haven't done to the drivetrain. SPICA pump and fuel injectors, check. Transmission, check. Driveshaft (propshaft), check. Rear axle and diff...uh....nope. So, it goes down Larry Jr. for an R&R next week.

I'm still waiting on an item for the completion of my parts order from EB spares. I may just have to pull the trigger on that order next week, and then source the item from some one else. It's a common item, I was just trying to save on shipping.

The only thing I'm doing to the engine, other than the SPICA items and a cleaning and rebuilding of the intake is a reseal. New front and rear main seals, the gasket that seals the sheet metal plate on the rear. I may pull the water pump and reseal, as I can't stand looking at the red sealant that ooozed out when we did that hasty repair.

This weekend I hope to finish pulling out the brake booster and the clutch master. At that point I should be able to finish cleaning up the engine bay and begin cleaning up the various components therein.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Nice job on the engine compartment cleanup. Would you mind posting pics of the steam cleaner that you used?

Reactions: pinshaw

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #590

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks. I've always wanted a Hotsy hot water pressure washer, but could never justify the expense. Maybe this will scratch that itch.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Thanks. I've always wanted a Hotsy hot water pressure washer, but could never justify the expense. Maybe this will scratch that itch.
Welllllll, it's not really anywhere close to a Hotsy! Those things are amazing, but the down side is that you get water everywhere. And, it's potentially strong enough to strip off paint if you're not careful.

This is a bit more surgical, and tedious. But I don't have any qualms about using it in the interior. It squirts a bit of water when you first pull the trigger, even when you've just put it down for a moment, but then it's a pretty dry steam.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
This weekend's progress, thanks a bunch Jim for the directions. I did pull the front seats as I'm no where near flexible enough to get under the dash with them in.

The corrosion on the booster and pedal assembly is a bit of a surprise.

And I received this:

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Other than removing the rear axle to take to Larry, it’s time to stop and rehab the items that have been removed. So we’ll move to cleaning, cerakoting and reassembly for the foreseeable future.

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
Dang, that pump sure is shiny. I’ve got one in my garage just like it, except eight pistons in a row. Gives me a stiffy just thinking about it. Like you and horses. 🥸

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
Anyone have any advice on removing the trim around the glue on windshield? I need to pull the trim off to look at some small rust bubbles at the trim clips. Hoping it's minor...maybe I should leave it alone. LOL

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Anyone have any advice on removing the trim around the glue on windshield? I need to pull the trim off to look at some small rust bubbles at the trim clips. Hoping it's minor...maybe I should leave it alone. LOL
I would leave it alone... unless you like Russian roulette with cylinder at least half full. But if you need to replace the headliner, you don’t have much of a choice. Expect to find rust that will need to be cut out and repaired... plan to tweak the trim or crack the windshield upon removal unless you’re lucky. I believe the technique for trim removal requires some thin gauge high tensile strength wire that you get behind the trim, starting at one of the joints, and working it back-forth to cut through the adhesive. @gprocket has some recent experience with this from an earlier post in the GTV section, so best to heed his advice.

·
Administrator
14,307 Posts
And note your windscreen is different to a rubber gasket one, which you might end up wanting to install after your rust repairs
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
I’ve been wary of doing anything around the windshield given it’s propensity to crack. You’ve reinforced that concern. I think I’ll do some rust prevention and carry on with getting the car operating.

Thanks. That could have been a “squirrel “ moment.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I’ve been wary of doing anything around the windshield given it’s propensity to crack. You’ve reinforced that concern. I think I’ll do some rust prevention and carry on with getting the car operating.

Thanks. That could have been a “squirrel “ moment.

Good decision. I assume your headliner isn’t torn but likely stained. If so, just find a spray on vinyl dye with a close match to the original off-white. Be careful not to apply it too heavy, otherwise you’ll be taking a pin to all of the perforations that are filled with dye.

581 - 600 of 611 Posts