Alfa Romeo Forums banner

541 - 560 of 611 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Anyone know where I can purchase the clear insulated wire terminals that the GTV uses? Mine have badly deteriorated and I’d like to replace them while I have the engine out.

I’ve done a preliminary google and Amazon search and don’t like what I’ve found.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
Pictures?

Here’s a link to where I posted them on the BB.

They’re in pretty good shape, and tires are young with next to zero wear. I’ve also got a bunch of spacers if that’s required.

They came on my 916, but I found the ride excessively harsh for my aging bones, so I got a set of OE 16”, and new P7s, and all is good.

Neighborly pricing.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Do you have a picture of the connectors you are after? Are they the round bullet style?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
Don, I’m in. I’ll come pick them up when the snow clears. DM the price

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
Do you have a picture of the connectors you are after? Are they the round bullet style?
Thanks for asking. I’ll post a picture. They are female side for spade connectors. I think I found them at British wire, but sold out.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #546 (Edited)
Just a project update. SPICA refurb is three weeks out per Wes.

Transmission should be done next week per Larry Jr.

I have a reasonably clear weekend so I hope to finish cleaning the engine bay, inventory the parts at hand and start on the brakes.

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
Bob,

When the weather clears enough to fly, I've got to drive over to Jackson to bring back the plane. Are you in the vicinity of Jackson, one way or another? We could probably deliver.

Price? Why don't you think about it, and so will I. I much prefer trades to cash. Dinner and a good bottle of Laphroaigh 15 or 18? Or??? Surprise me.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Anyone know where I can purchase the clear insulated wire terminals that the GTV uses? Mine have badly deteriorated and I’d like to replace them while I have the engine out.

I’ve done a preliminary google and Amazon search and don’t like what I’ve found.
Bob, Good luck finding an exact match to the spade terminal covers used in our GTVs. I’ve never been able to find a match, and I think the flexible clear PVC items sold by British Wiring may be as close as you can get. For whatever reason, the Alfa terminal covers were a harder plastic, and as you well know, they get brittle and crack with age, especially if left to the elements. And since they were crimped over the terminal, they cannot be removed without breakage.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #549 (Edited)
Larry Jr. called. The transmission has been opened and inspected, he said that it was in excellent shape, however, he noticed the crack in the bellhousing. After discussion, we'll replace three synchros and flip two more. He also has a replacement bellhousing. I'll pick it up Thursday or Friday.

My back and knee hated the drop in barometric pressure this weekend, so I didn't get nearly as much done as anticipated. Bending over the engine bay was not going to happen. I did smear a bunch of hand cleaner (my favorite technique, it's a gel that doesn't tend to dry out and clings) all over the greasy parts and let time do it's work. I also did a test section in the engine bay inner fender wells, testing to see what would clean off the dinginess of the paint. I landed on Meg's Ultimate compound as something gentle enough not to scrub through the paint, but still with the capability to clean up the mess. The pro compound I have was a bit aggressive, consumer grade stuff certainly has it's place.

I spent several hours gently removing the significant marks left from the bump strips. I concentrated on the driver's side rear quarter, where the problem was really bad, and slowly wet sanded with 2500, then 5000 grit. It was all about getting rid of the marks without cutting through the thin original paint. I followed up with Meg's Ultimate compound on a DA polisher. Came out really, really nice. And I could do the work sitting down.

I also hung a retractable 20 amp electrical cord and continued to rearrange the garage to my satisfaction. I'm still not there, but happier each time I spend the time to tidy up.

Three weeks until we get the SPICA pump back.

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
We're planning on driving over toward Jackson on Wednesday afternoon/evening, stopping somewhere scenic along the way, and finishing the drive on Thursday morning. I'm sure you gave me your address, but if you'll PM it to me, we can try to organize a wheel drop off.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
I'm a bit confused by the number of boots that cover the transmission gear lever. Are there three: lower, middle and the top leather/vinyl piece that attaches to the console? Or just the lower and the leather/vinyl? I didn't see a middle boot when I took things apart, but things were badly deteriorated. There could have been one. I looked through some parts catalogs, but only saw the lower.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Three in this reference. Inner from shift lever to trans top, keep oil in the trans. Outer rubber, from shift lever to hole in metal floor tunnel bump, keeps environment out of car. Dash/console boot, leather/vinyl for looks.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
On spiders anyway, cause that’s what I’m familiar with.... there is also a thick rubber gaiter thing that gets sandwiched between the bolt down transmission bump and the floor. Oh, and a little rubber cone washer just below where the shift lever slips onto the nub of the transmission, on top of the sliding plates.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
I probably need to pull the console and give it a good look. Everything was pretty well rotted when I pulled the gear lever and dropped the transmission.

·
Administrator
14,308 Posts
That is a real survivor you have there! Cleaning up nicely

Pete

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm a bit confused by the number of boots that cover the transmission gear lever. Are there three: lower, middle and the top leather/vinyl piece that attaches to the console? Or just the lower and the leather/vinyl? I didn't see a middle boot when I took things apart, but things were badly deteriorated. There could have been one. I looked through some parts catalogs, but only saw the lower.

Bob
You probably need the combined gaiter. Its a single piece that has both the transmission boot and tunnel boot molded into it. Refer to Classic Alfa GB022.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
After cruising Centerline it looks like what he said. Your 74 GTV combines my 3 spider parts into one combined boot/gaiter.

Plus this doey on top of the sliding plates of the shifter nub.

Then the leather/vinyl boot still.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Excellent, guys. Thanks for digging that up.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
Made a couple of parts orders with EB Spares and Centerline. Gathering enough stuff to get some real work done during February.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
Went down to APE south and picked up the transmission. Larry also had some hardware that I couldn't find, including washers, nuts etc for the AC unit. The big old York had already been taken off when I purchased the car, so I was missing a few things. I'll be changing to a Sanden rotary. Larry suggested changing out the hoses, flushing the system and giving it a whirl as is, as opposed to swapping in a Vintage air system. I think I'll give that a try. Obviously I'll need a new dryer, and I might stick in a bigger condenser.

I really wasn't looking forward to tearing out the dash and stock system, so we'll see if this avenue can knock off the top of the heat. I don't think we'll be driving this car when it's over 100*

541 - 560 of 611 Posts