Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am currently restoring my 1750GTV and have replcaed the existing wiper motor with a BMW E21 unit. I have got it working, however it keeps blowing fuses. The motor is also very noisy when running and the wiper arms are not even connected. Looking for suggestions as to what's causing it to conitnually blow fuses? Does it need a good greasing?

Cheers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you have the wiper motor bolted down to the linkage and bolted to the cowl? The motor uses the linkage bolted to the body for a ground. If you want to test it outside of the car, you will need to run a seperate ground wire to the motor.

Kelly

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello - the wiper motor is bolted to the linkage which is bolted under the cowl not to the cowl. I'm not sure what you mean about the 'tab'. I have attached some photos for your reference. I also wired the BMW motor as outlined in this thread;

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/41601-1750-gtv-wiper-motor.html

Someone advised me that the connections in the above thread could be incorrect and I am trying to energeise the low speed and high speed coil at the same time, hence drawing excess current.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,362 Posts
Someone advised me that the connections in the above thread could be incorrect and I am trying to energeise the low speed and high speed coil at the same time, hence drawing excess current.
I doubt that is your problem. My guess is that the motor is simpy worn out. The fact that it is noisy, as well as blowing fuses, suggests to me that there is some mechanical resistance (bad bearings, armature rubbing field, etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts