Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '79 spider veloce for $1200 and have since restored it (body beautiful now) and the engine was balanced- made more high performance ( excuse potential incorrect terminology but we are in the budding stages of gearheaddom) before I bought it. Now before the body work I only had liability insurance on the car and now with all the time , money, love etc I've put into it, I want to get collision in case something happens to it.
Now I checked out Kellyblue book on line and found no listing for my car's year. Any ideas of a ball park worth for the car? Since collision insurance is so expensive in NYC I want to be sure I'm not paying more than the cars value in insurance - VERY easy to do. I love the car and know I have put far more into it than it is worth, but it's my every day driver and the few days this year we've NOT had rain, the top down experience has been beyond fantastic. Can't get historic car insurance either because I put at least 10.000 miles on the thing a year.

Why are the blue books in general so low for Alfas?

·
Registered
741 Posts
The last SCM I have with the Alfa Price Guide in it (8/2002) has '75 - '81 Spider 2000's at USD $4,000 - $5,500 for condition #2, with no change year over year. CPI has them at $5,400 in excellent condition.

On line CPI value guide

Ciao,

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hey ALFemale! Nice name! Welcome to the on-line Alfa world.

You have a great car there! Don't worry about your "potential incorrect terminology", that is something that comes with time and experience...and everybody needs to start somewhere, right?

The Kelly blue book isn't the best source for looking at insurance value for your car. I have had mine (a '69) appraised by a professional appraiser, and have had my insurance value based on that appraised amount. Some of the members here are from NYC, so you may find one of them will give you a recommendation for an appraiser near you.

I realize that collision insurance is very expensive in NYC, but in the end, you pretty much have to shell out the bucks if you want the car's value to be paid for in the event of a total loss due to theft, fire, collision, etc. If you don't mind getting less than what the car is really worth from insurance, then perhaps there is a "book" value for the car that is pretty low, but I don't have access to all the value books. Perhaps someone else here can answer that question a bit better?

Blue book values are low for Alfas because they are rare and yet not "supercars" like Ferraris. The buyers interested in used Alfas are few and far between, so the cars often sit on lots and end up selling for whatever the dealer can get. That's my theory anyway!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that gives me a something to work with.

I liked the quote about hobbies... I've always said my obsession with my car(s) is worse than a crack habit, but at least more socially acceptable.

Some people get excited when the Victoria's Secret's Catalog or the Pottery Barn Catalog comes, I get excited with The International Auto Catalog comes... I think I'm beyond help at this point.

Sarah.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Sarah,

We all are! Welcome to the Alfaddiction!

My name is Alex. I am an Alfaholic.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sarah,

Welcome to AlfaBB and to Alfa ownership! You could check out www.nadaguide.com for a current value on your Spider. Look under Classic Cars then Sports Cars. I came up with the following figures for a '79 Spider Veloce.
Low Retail: $3,413
Average Retail: $5,093
High Retail: $6,589

The term "retail" is used however, the initial link said "What's My Classic Car Worth?"

I used Nada Guides' figures for my insurance carrier.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If your Spider isn't your daily driver you might want to look into the classic car insurance providers. They typically will agree to a fixed value for your car and provide you full coverage. The rates are very low (couple hundred $$$ a year typically) but some companies make you keep track of mileage, restrict when/where you drive your car, etc.

My car isn't old enough yet, but once it is I'm saving myself some money!

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alex Csank said:
Sarah,

We all are! Welcome to the Alfaddiction!

My name is Alex. I am an Alfaholic.

Cheers,
Alex, thanks for sharing with us.
The first step towards solving your addiction is admitting you have a problem.
I too suffer from this affliction, I spend all my time and money on it. Sometimes I get so intoxicated, I see little crosses and serpents spinning around my head.
Thankfully, I have plenty of dates this summer to drive to "group therapy" with other addicts.
Sarah should make sure she attends these group sessions as much as possible now that she has given in to alfaholism.

My name is Jeff. I am also an Alfaholic.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
rossored.com said:
Sometimes I get so intoxicated, I see little crosses and serpents spinning around my head.
Fellow Alfaholics,

I know that some, like Dretceterini have been 'dry' for some time. But, it is very hard to 'swear off', once you have enjoyed that smell of freshly-burned motor oil, the exotic sounds of that twin-cam all-aluminum engine, the very real feel of the roadway as it passes by quickly...mile after mile right under your butt, searching desperately for those wonderful squigly road signs that indicate "turns ahead"!

See? I'm hopeless! You think you have it bad because you see little crosses and serpents spinning around in your head? Hell, I had the ALFA-ROMEO MILANO crest tattooed on my upper left arm just so I could proudly display it when wearing a sleeveless shirt pulling into the racetrack entrance!

The group therapy I attend regularly has often rescued me from certain doom. I value my sessions so very much.

Socially acceptable? Yes, I suppose it is. In fact, it costs far less than most other addictions too! But the best part about being an Alfaholic is that it isn't 'unhealthy' or illegal.

Ciao,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello. My name is Sarah and I am an Alfaholic.

Well nice to know I am in good company. I do actually get together with other Alfistis when my work schedule allows we have a weekly 8 am Sunday Breakfast at a diner on Long Island and when I am able (not as much as I'd like to lately) I drive out and discuss Alfas at 8 am over banana pancakes. Slowly and surely I am gaining more knowledge about my car and get to talk car talk without having people roll their eyes and scan for the nearest exit.
One of the breakfast club was who turned me on to the ALFABB.

Sarah.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alex Csank said:
Hell, I had the ALFA-ROMEO MILANO crest tattooed on my upper left arm just so I could proudly display it when wearing a sleeveless shirt pulling into the racetrack entrance!
PLEASE Alex,
Post a picture of your tattoo!!!
(Maybe my wife will let me get one!!!)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
OK! Stand by for pictures of my 'naked' left arm! You'll have to wait until tomorrow though, my buddy borrowed my camera.

By the way, I had the tattoo done while visiting Sydney, Australia last November. That was a fun trip!

Cheers,

·
Registered
751 Posts
ALfemale

Hey! My email address is [email protected]! so we kind have the same monicker. I'm marriaged, though.;-}
My name is Patrick, and I'm an Alfaholic...
It all started about 2 years ago...I started hanging around with the wrong crowd, bought a Spider, then another, now I spend lots of time at club general meeting, board meetings, Corsa Committee meetings, doing event registration, and I've just generally been reduced to total track groupie. (I LOVE the smell of hot brakes in the morning!). I'm trying to find a way to finagle buying Magista's Berlina, but my Wife refuses to be the codependent any further. If I sell a Spider, MAYBE! (Check it out...it's on Ebay right now...item #2418164003)
Anyway, we're all glad you're here, Sarah...you've come to the right place. Who wants to share with us tonight?:D

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I still don't have my camera back, so it'll be a few more days until I can get the pic of my Alfa tattoo up on here for the world to see. Sorry.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Alex, we're all eagerly awaiting the picture of the tattoo. might be fun to get a bunch of temporary tattoos for some Alfa event and have everyone put one on and get a picture of that.

Most people post baby pictures up on the wall of the office. I am going to post a picture of my newly restored Spider...My name is Sarah and I am an Alfaholic....

I think 2 Alfas is enough for me only because parking limitations have dictated that I can't have any more cars. Now if I was back in Louisiana, I'm sure I'd have an entire yard full, and find even more if/when I got around to mowing the lawn. Oh yeah and there is the part about the restorations putting me into the poor house. I don't have any extra money to become a crack addict.

Have you put Alfa Male on your licence plate yet Patrick? Next time I renew I'm thinking about putting ALfemale on mine. I've never been much for vanity plates, but I shamefully love puns.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
All,

OK. I'll make an effort to get at my camera and get the pic of my tattoo put up, but I'll do it on the "off-topic" board as a new thread. That way, everyone will be able to see me in all my 'naked' glory (well, my upper left arm anyway:D ).

I'll try and do that by tomorrow or Thursday at the latest!

Cheers,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts