Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'76 Spider. The number 6 fuse keeps blowing and I lose the fuel and oil pressure gages. Also lose fuel pressure light. When driving the generator light comes on.....Any place I should start? (I just replaced fuel filters and water pump if that might have done something)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,647 Posts
On a lot of cars 6 is the engine gauges, and it sounds like that's the case on your car. You have a wiring diagram? If not, papajam here can supply one. See what-all components are on that circuit and look at each one, perhaps disconnecting one at a time til the fuse no longer blows. That'll be your problem. Probably a short/poor connection touching where it shouldn't.
Alt light won't work right if there's no power going to the engine gauges; it gets 12V off the same circuit.
Andrew

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
#6 Fuse
Pink - Instruments/lites & catalyst overtemp warning
Yellow/Black - Reverse light switch
Pink - Spica Fuel Cutoff Solenoid

If you were just in the front fuel filter area, check that the white wire to the FCS is not pinched somehow and grounding out.

Disconnect the FCS and test to see if it's shorted out. Take a test light, connect on lead to the + battery, and touch the other lead to the spade terminal on top the FCS. If the light comes on, then the FCS is shorted internally.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine started blowing that fuse on a regular basis, so until I can find the fault I put an auto-resetting circuit breaker in it's place. When it trips I lose the heater blower, oil pressure gauge, and my gen light comes on. A few seconds later it resets. Almost every fuse blown was upon turning the ignition key. Expecting the fault is behind/below the stereo somewhere or at the ignition switch, but haven't found it yet and I've been in there twice now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed!

Thanks to all! It was the wire going to the fuel cutoff switch. Couldn't really see aproblem but the wire looked a little sketchy so moved it and taped it and that seems to have solved the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts