Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 164 and the Blower motor is stuck on full blast. It doesn't turn off or change speed by any input from the A/C unit. Air is the same temperature as the outside so that A/C compressor is not engaged.

Any ideas on where to start or what it might be?

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Stuck blower motor relay? So what year and model is you 164? Euro or USA spec?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Fan speed controller unit failed? This uses a resistor pack to produce the four fan speeds. Not sure if the later LS cars used the same resistor pack. High speed is no resistors in line, high speed voltage is in effect short circuited bypassing the resistors. One resistor gives speed 3, the other gives speed 2 and combining the resistors gives speed 1. The part is not repairable.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Fan speed controller unit failed? This uses a resistor pack to produce the four fan speeds. Not sure if the later LS cars used the same resistor pack. High speed is no resistors in line, high speed voltage is in effect short circuited bypassing the resistors. One resistor gives speed 3, the other gives speed 2 and combining the resistors gives speed 1. The part is not repairable.
I have a 164 and the Blower motor is stuck on full blast. It doesn't turn off or change speed by any input from the A/C unit. Air is the same temperature as the outside so that A/C compressor is not engaged.

Any ideas on where to start or what it might be?
Stuck blower motor relay? So what year and model is you 164? Euro or USA spec?
We need more info before making these bad relay and speed controller calls me thinks.

Tell us what model year your Alfa 164 is please.

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I have a 164 and the Blower motor is stuck on full blast. Any ideas on where to start or what it might be?
My fan speed controller always worked fine -until I removed the climate control module from the dash to clean or replace the light bulbs behind the temperature indicators. I cleaned the contacts on the bulbs, which were still good.

When I went to put the module back in the car, I noticed what sounded like a 'BB' rattling around inside the controller. I remembered the previous owner of my old 164L telling me that he opened up the fan speed controller and all the pieces behind the buttons fell out and it was a pain to put them back together. Rather than disassemble the module and risk making things worse; I installed it.

Now my fan runs on the low speed setting -unless I select settings 2,3 or 4. I just can't turn the fan all the way off. Perhaps you have a similar issue with the controller buttons.

The light behind the LCD for the temperature indicator worked for a day or two before going out again. I need to go back inside there to clean the contact on the circuit board with a pencil eraser and retrieve whatever came out from behind the button for fan speed #1.

Mark

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
"Now my fan runs on the low speed setting -unless I select settings 2,3 or 4. I just can't turn the fan all the way off."

Isn't this normal? The only way to turn the fan completely off is to turn off the HVAC (far right button). My MB c230 works the same way, in a slightly different way: when you turn the fan speed to "0", it turns the HVAC off.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Yes, the default fan speed setting is speed number 2, assuming you have a B, L, or S model 164. It sits there unless the hvac computer decides that the cabin temperature is too far away from the selected hvac temperature. It is rare to see the fan setting drop to 1, usually rising to 3 or 4 for a while. By changing the selected cabin temperature, you can check what the fan is doing, the speed changing as you change that desired cabin temperature.

As pinino mentions, you turn off the system by pushing the off button on the far right. Push it again to turn the system back on.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Isn't this normal? The only way to turn the fan completely off is to turn off the HVAC (far right button).
Thanks Pinino; that fixed it! Too much seat time in a Tundra while I was working on the 164, I guess. Also having trouble remembering how to reset the clock; I will look in the owners manual. Some things Alfa are just not intuitive...

Mark

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
My guess is US. Stating it is on "full Blast" is definitely someone from the US. ;) haha

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Just another possibility is the common wiring harness issue with the HVAC wiring harness insulation breakdown problem many people have had at this point in time with these cars. The wires just behind the false firewall have three or four wires (out of 6 or 7 in that harness) with insulation that "biodegrades" and then you get random HVAC system wonkiness. These wires are in a harness that comes through the real firewall just beside the blower motor (on D/S) and run over to the passenger side to HVAC system pressure switches, etc. Just another thing to be aware of that can cause problems. A few hours spent replacing wires there can fix many issues. Of course the problems this can cause are going to be random and different depending on the wires that fail and what they touch or make contact with. I recall that my car had fan speed issues and/or mode issues before I replaced those failed wires.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/577346-hvac-wires-insulation-failure.html
Charles

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Thanks Pinino; that fixed it! Too much seat time in a Tundra while the 164 was being worked on, I guess. Also having trouble remembering how to reset the clock; I will look in the owners manual. Some things Alfa are just not intuitive...

Mark
Clock's easy. With ignition on push SEL to display the clock then SET sequentially until the time display flashes then + or - to display correct time then SEL to lock the selected time.

Or maybe not, I forget exactly how it goes.

It seems I do recall correctly:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/572297-clock.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We need more info before making these bad relay and speed controller calls me thinks.

Tell us what model year your Alfa 164 is please.
Sorry to everyone who took the time to reply. I hadn't gotten any notifications and it completely slipped my mind. The car is a 1991 164 Base with the V6.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Does your car have the automatic climate control system or manual adjustment system?

All North American 164 were V6 and all came with automatic climate control.

If you do then does the OFF switch shut down the cabin air fan?

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
If blower motor won't stop when you push OFF button try pulling F12 10A fuse in right side of row 3 down from top for aircon system.

If motor still stays running the 50A Blower relay Q15 located behind false firewall under a square high black cover next to blower motor contacts are stuck on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does your car have the automatic climate control system or manual adjustment system?

All North American 164 were V6 and all came with automatic climate control.

If you do then does the OFF switch shut down the cabin air fan?

Sorry I maybe wrong but I don't see a button that says auto so i'm gonna assume that's no on the automatic climate control. It does have the V6. The off switch doesn't shut it down. I't just stuck on full and nothing stops it except unplugging it

I have had much time to work on it this week so I hadn't been able to get back to you sooner but thank you again for taking the time.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
You don't say where the car is, North America, or elsewhere, and whether or it it is LHD or right. That info might help.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
While the parts eper shows only one HVAC panel style for the 91-93 USA 164, maybe the B version doesn't have the auto option, as the others, L and S, have. If your car has it, it would be the left hand button, second row, in the HVAC panel.

I see that all the used panels for sale on eBay, etc, show an auto button, so don't know about any of the panels being from the B.

If the car has the auto mode, there should be an interior temperature sensor in the overhead panel above the windshield, ie, a little fan behind several air vent slots in the rear of the panel. Also, there should be a small temperature sensor either at the base of the windshield under the hood in the middle near the rear of the hood, or it may be a small bulb sticking out under the left hand outside driver's mirror.

Steve owned a B model, IIRC, so he would know for sure.

Maybe you will just have to buy a used panel. Easy to install.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts